Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New issue - loose rear seat  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
New issue - loose rear seat
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:35:26 pm »
I had some noise/banging behind me recently. At first I thought something in the top box, but then discovered the rear seat loose. I suspected it hadn't clicked closed the last time I had it opened, as the key operation had been sticky for a while, I thought due to the grime thrown up by the rear wheel. It transpired however that the entire latch had come adrift.  Luckily, I found the latch and its bolt in the plastic tray underneath so I didn't loose any parts. With the jiggling around however it had also parted company with the operating cable. The top box probably saved me from loosing the seat altogether. I had to limp home, stopping frequently to reposition the seat, especially as driver's seat support disappeared any time the rear seat moved back.

I'm attaching some photos which might be helpful if you find yourself in this situation. It's not easy due to the confined space but it's possible to do the fix without dismantling anything. The hardest bit is getting the cable nipple back into the latch. Removing the rear light doesn't improve access but does let in some more light. The photos show two views of the latch, one of the bracket it should be attached to (enhanced with some paper behind it) and one of the reconnected latch with the nipple protruding. (Don't you just love protruding nipples!). I used some thread lock on the bolt this time - as Triumph should have done at the outset.

Learning from this experience I would suggest that you check the bolt is tight on your bike before the next ride and regularly after that. You might also consider using some thread lock. Also note the amount of corrosion on mine after only 1 year. This is due to the grime/salt/etc. getting in through the various openings around that area. I oiled mine thoroughly before reassembly. I suspect there's going to be seized latches and broken cables on many bikes down the line. That's going to be fun!
Caoimhín

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: New issue - loose rear seat
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:46:46 pm »
Caoimhin

Thanks for the info. Lucky if that had gone flying off the bike whilst travelling down a motorway.

Another item on my own service check list.  :821: cheers

seadog
seadog

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: New issue - loose rear seat
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »
 That used to happen to me regularly. I had to treble check the seat after each time I removed it.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison