Very dirty final drive oil by digital
[Today at 11:16:14 am]

Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574 by digital
[Today at 11:13:53 am]

Side Stand Enarger Pad by digital
[Today at 11:05:30 am]

UK Reg for sale - TR04HYO by RedMerle
[Today at 06:16:21 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Camping Gear Report  (Read 7998 times)

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Arizona
Camping Gear Report
« on: April 12, 2014, 11:50:43 pm »
So this will not be a report on camping gear where the sleeping bag or tent has been on Everest, or the purchase price would be good down payment on a car. 

The gear I purchased and used for a nice overnight was slightly over $100.00 and was purchased at, you guessed it, Wal-Mart.  The tent is a 7'X7' two person made by Ozark trail ($29.95), and weighs a bit less than 5 pounds.  The sleeping bag, also Ozark Trail ($34.95), is rated down to 40 (not quite that good) but is quite nice and long 86.5" X 33" wide and is very compact.  Completely rolled up in its bag is about the size of a small football and weighs about 2-3 lbs.  The air mattress by Coleman is a slim twin ($19.95) and is about the same size and weight as the sleeping bag.  The mattress inflator is also Ozark trail ($9.95) connects to the Trophy's 12V  plug and works like a charm. 

The tent has two shock corded poles and takes a couple of minutes to set up and is quite roomy for 1 person with all of your gear inside. It comes with a rainfly, gear pockets, and other things.  I cannot speak to the rain worthiness of the product, I live in Arizona and if it rains we stay home to celebrate.

The sleeping bag I found to be very nice and quite comfortable.  It is a mummy style but I personally did not find it too constrictive or tight.    The temps that night got down to around 42degrees F and was a bit too cool for the bag.  I had my Coleman insulated poncho along and used that over the bag and was quite warm and comfortable. 

The air mattress was easily inflated and remained so all night. It has a velour like top and keeps the bag from sliding off.

The next morning I made coffee on a Century single burner Trail Scout (purchased quite a while back) with a 16oz propane tank, and used my Stanley ($14.95 at Wally World)  24oz capacity kettle/pot with included insulted cups to heat the water and serve the drinks in.

The tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, poncho and inflator all fit on one side of the bike in the side case, with careful packing.  The key was to remove all of the unnecessary packing material included with the items when purchased and repack combining some items. 

All of the items worked as advertised with no ill effects and repacked quickly and easily.  I would recommend all of the items mentioned with the caveats as stated.   

All items mentioned with the exception of the stove totaled ~$125.00 with taxes included.  One of the fellows I ride with was so impressed he asked for the list of items and bought the exact same items for his trip and had the same conclusions.

Cost is not an obstacle to a good camping trip on the Trophy, so go out have a great trip and sleep a sound sleep (A little Jack helps).  :821:
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Camping Gear Report
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:14:11 am »
I spent a month on the road last year with my Walmart camping gear and was quite comfy. Less than $150 invested. I plan on doing it again this year.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:14:35 am »
*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
I spent a month on the road last year with my Walmart camping gear and was quite comfy. Less than $150 invested. I plan on doing it again this year.
I am into backpacking so I spend quite a bit more for better, smaller, lighter  stuff but  it all  has multiple uses. Motorcycles is one other possible use. When the big earthquake hits the SF area (which is long overdue) is another possible use for this stuff!

However, I just realized most of my backpacking stuff is here in Reno, as this home is closer to the areas I like to back pack in the high Sierras.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:59:26 am »
A silk inner bag does wonders for increasing the cold performance of a sleeping bag, and takes up hardly any space.

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:09:45 pm »
Hi, if you celebrate rain then you should come to Scotland for a while! I enjoyed your wee review of the camping gear. Not camped with a bike since I was able to afford bunk houses and now bed & Breakfast places. All the best, Donald

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
 I'm sorry but anything less than 3 stars is emergency accommodation isn't it??

:745:  :745:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »
I am pretty much a hotel fan myself and we always get a room if my wife is traveling with me. I camp when I do my big solo trips because I can stay on the road a long time with the money I save by camping. I usually camp three or four nights and then get a room for a night or if the weather is particularly nasty I will get indoors. I spent the month of October on the road this past year and gasoline was my biggest expense. Campgrounds are cheap and a lot of them have better shower facilities than most motels. Most grocery stores have a deli area where I can get a really good spread for supper at a reasonable price. Another reason for camping is the fact that I never know where I will be come evening, kind of hard to schedule a room that way. I don't plan my routes before a trip or the places I will be stopping. I have lived my life pretty much according to a schedule and I refuse to spend my vacation according to a schedule. I pick a place that I want to see and then I bounce all over the map getting there. I was lucky enough to retire early so time is not much of a factor anymore.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 04:51:44 am »
thanks for the in depth report on good economy camping gear
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch