Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Thoughts on the Trophy vs. ST1300 vs. Goldwing  (Read 9102 times)

Offline beagle

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ohio
Thoughts on the Trophy vs. ST1300 vs. Goldwing
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:56:23 pm »
So I've had the Trophy for a little over a month, done nearly half a ton including a couple minitrips (first long one is a few weeks away).  This has given me enough for a first comparison between it, the ST1300 (which the Trophy replaced) and the Goldwing (which I still have).

Performance:  Trophy. 
All three of these bikes are fast enough to get me into trouble.  The trophy is by far the lightest and has the most power.  I haven't been in the take-your-license away speed range (I seem to do this less and less) but the ST1300 got buzzy at higher speeds.  Trophy acceleration is exhilarating.

Handling:  Trophy.
Again, the Trophy is the lightest.  Handling is the strongest thing I've noticed with the new bike.  Compared to the ST1300, the trophy is much lighter going down the road and loses even more weight quickly.  I'm not sure I would call it "flickable" but I'm surprised how well the bike handles given that it is still a pretty heavy bike.  The payback for this is that on unstable ground it is less reassuring.  Luckily I don't spend much time on gravel (my driveway aside) but sometimes it is unavoidable.  The electronic adjustments on the Trophy make a much bigger difference than I would have thought.

Comfort:  Goldwing.
It is a beast, but the GL is still more comfortable.  I love being able to hit cruise control, sit back and take a nap; get up and walk to the back of the bike and get a soda from the trunk.  My wife hated the Trophy - she also said I went too fast around the corners...  I'm still not sure about the Trophy seat but it is starting to grow on me.

Reliability:  Unknown.
But, I've got well over 100k miles on the two Hondas and the only warranty repair has been a saddlebag strut on the Goldwing and a couple minor recalls which were not applicable - ie no problem found.

Wind Protection:  Trophy.
I'm surprised by this since the Goldwing has the bigger front end and windscreen, but I can get the windshield in just the right spot with the Trophy where I'm sitting in a bubble of quiet air that I can't get to with either the Goldwing or ST1300 while still seeing over it.  Between that and the heated grips, sub-freezing temps are easy on the Trophy.  Adjust the windshield down and I'm back on a normal bike.  I just wish the antenna was stiffer since in some windscreen positions it oscillates violently which is distracting.

Sound:  None of the Above.
My 2001 VFR will be the bike all other bikes are compared to for sound.  Heavy throttle at speed gave the exhaust a mean growl without being obnoxious combined with noticeable gear whine from the gear-driven cams.  The two together were intoxicating.

Build:  Trophy???
I just put the GPS hardware/electrics on and I was surprised at the size of the hardware used to hold it together.  The Hondas have a lot more clips and plastic screws.  Interesting....see Reliability.  I will say that I hit a deer with the ST1300 and other than a cracked windscreen there was no damage.  The deer however was less lucky (I wish I would have taken a picture of the gore on the side of the bike - on second thought, maybe not).

Brakes:  ST1300
That thing seemed to stop before I grabbed brakes.

Looks:  ST1300
I have to give a slight edge to the ST.  However, only in certain colors, mine was black so it matched the plastic panels, in other colors I thought the two didn't mix well at all.  With the Trophy being blue (the faster of the two colors), all my vehicles are blue now!

Overall:  Depends on my mood.
The ST1300 was a great bike.  I missed some of the features that it doesn't have.  Honda seems happy to still sell quite a few of these while doing nothing to them, putting new bikes out that go in a pretty odd direction (read the CTX).
The Goldwing is an amazing vehicle that I've done a phenomenal amount of miles on day after day.  Its low speed manners can be unfreindly (especially with two people) although it did take my wife and I to Alaska and back - and paved means something different up there than in Ohio.  I've never understood people who buy a GL and then never actually tour, kind of like owning a motorhome to commute or run to the grocery store on.
So far I love the Trophy.  It has great road feel, faster and lots of toys while still retaining just a little bit of football hooligan in it (British, so soccer...).  We'll see how things go for the next few weeks, months and years, and I'm looking forward to every mile!

TJ

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
Re: Thoughts on the Trophy vs. ST1300 vs. Goldwing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »
If I wasn't actively saving for retirement I might have a Gold Wing in my garage as well.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:18:28 pm »
I'd say that's a pretty good comparison. I too was surprised by how much better the Trophy's wind protection was.  I think part of the issue with the wing is you seem to sit farther away from the fairing and windshield than you do on the Trophy.  The Trophy is much more comfortable than the ST-1300, but all said and done, I'd still be riding an ST-1300 if it were updated with the bells and whistles the Trophy has.  I just love that V-4. We've put 100K on the Wing, about half that two up, and Kathy hasn't even sat on the Trophy and probably never will.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:00:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by beagle [+]

Comfort:  Goldwing.
It is a beast, but the GL is still more comfortable.  I love being able to hit cruise control, sit back and take a nap; get up and walk to the back of the bike and get a soda from the trunk. 

:745:

*Originally Posted by beagle [+]

I've never understood people who buy a GL and then never actually tour, kind of like owning a motorhome to commute or run to the grocery store on.

Couldn't agree more.  Rode my Triumph Sprint 955 ST to Alaska accompanied by my two brothers on Goldwings.  All 3 bikes performed flawlessly.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Agrsiv

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Peoria
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 03:18:34 am »
 but all said and done, I'd still be riding an ST-1300 if it were updated with the bells and whistles the Trophy has.  I just love that V-4.

Amen

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 12:59:28 pm »
I was riding an NT700V (aka Deauville). Good little bike!

It came time for something new and I went searching. I narrowed the search to the Trophy SE and ST1300. The latter was almost as expensive as the former but came with far fewer bells and whistles. Seating position was one of the major concerns.

I rule out Concours and FJR largely because of the more aggressive seating though in retrospect the FJR is a dang good bike.

Overall I'm very happy with my choice!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Fastwheels

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Orchard Lake, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 03:19:34 am »
I too moved from the ST1300 (2004) to the TT (2013) just this month.  Both are great bikes, and if Honda had updated the ST it would have made it a very difficult decision to choose between them!  But so far I am very happy with the move to Triumph.  They do have a 'cool' factor that I do not feel with the Honda...
2004 Honda ST 1300 - sold
2006 Suzuki M50 - sold
1983 Honda Sabre V45 - sold
1975 Honda 360 - sold

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 tt se
  • City / Town: N.E florida
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 02:36:28 am »
I also traded a 2012 st 1300.did not like the poor fuel mileage,sloppy drive line and being top heavy.
dropped it twice at very slow speed,Got a 13 blue tt se with the  usual quirks.Traded it for a 14 silver tt se and havent look back since.now i like to see a tt se in brittish racing green