Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Strongly considering a new Trophy  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Chaser

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha Vmax
  • City / Town: South Jordan, UT
Strongly considering a new Trophy
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
Just thought I'd introduce myself.  I live in the Salt Lake City, UT area.  If go through motorcycles almost as fast as I do cell phones and girl friends.  My last few bikes:  BMW K1200S, Kawasaki ZX14, Suzuki Hayabusa, Aprilia RSV4, and now a Yamaha Vmax. 

I just joined a motorycle club.  Most of them are decked out on longer haul tourers or cruisers.  My Vmax can be made a little more longer haul friendly but it has pretty poor gas mileage -27mpg- and you then combine that with a 4 gallon tank and well you get the idea.

So I started considering a "sport tourer".  I looked at the Honda ST1300A, Yamaha FJR and Kawasaki Contours.  My impression is the Honda is old and heavy for its class.  The FJR is weak on low end grunt and the Connie is too.  From what I understand this is from the result of using their 4 cyl crotch rocket bike engines for these S/Tourers.    The Trophy appeals to me because of its engine characteristics, numerous features and its more weather friendly design.   I also considered the BMW K1600GT but its too heavy for me and my budget. 

So I've studied a good deal online about the Trophy and tomorrow I am going to a dealer here in New Orleans to see one up close and personal.  I have read the Trophy's large gas tank makes it look big.   I've read the specs and compared to my Vmax its actually smaller in several ways:  Weight, wheel base and length.  So if up close and personal pans out for me -as in its not TOO big -I'm 5' 11"/190, then I may be in the market for one.

So hello to all you lucky Trophy owners :)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:38:48 PM by Chaser »

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Strongly considering a new Trophy
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
Hi and welcome,

I have had my Trophy since Jan 7th and I also thought about the physical size/weight. That was all 'out the window' as soon as I first got my feet up on my test ride. If you ride it I think you'll buy it. I am a couple of inches shorter than you and a few pounds lighter, with the variable seat/height adjustment, no problem. I must admit it looks front end heavy (especially with the panniers off) but that really does disappear when riding it, as it feels and is very nimble.

Coming from Sprint ST's and GT it is about 30Kg's heavier so before the Trophy came out I thought I'd try a BMW 1200RT about the same weight as the Sprint's, what a step back in time!!!! Like riding a tractor :151: So I waited for the Trophy to appear in November and the rest is history, as they say.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:37 PM »
Hi there,

The Trophy is a completely different type of bike to the ones you have ridden, including the Vmax which is a cruiser on steroids rather than a tourer.

Having ridden an ST1300 for the past 7 years I can say that it is certainly a good bike but time has moved on and Honda haven't updated it. The Trophy is by far the better bike and is cheaper and better equipped (at least over here in the UK). The BMW R1200RT feels very agricultural compared to the ST1300 an the Trophy. The FJR and Kawasaki are rather too "sports" for me and pull my lower back.

Althought the Trophy is a heavy bike it hides it very well when moving, you just have to be careful when stationary! It does look very big when looking down from the saddle due to the fuel tank but you rapidly get used to that.

I think you will be impressed when you see one "in the flesh"- I was. Mine is due for collection next week!
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Chaser

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »
Thanks guys for the very helpful replies. 

Offline Chaser

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
After seeing that ginormous gas tank and its comparatively low horse power and torque compared to the competition STs its just not for me.  certainly an impressive bike in its own rights but it's looks were a deal breaker.

Safe riding all.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Not quite sure how you get your figures. The Trophy has more BHP than the ST1300 (132 vs. 125) and almost the same torque (89ftlb vs. 92ftlb).

As for riding them, take it from me that the Trophy outclasses the ST1300 in every respect when ridden. It feels more agile at both high and low speeds, the engine feels more eager and powerful and the handling is much sharper yet feels more "planted". All this from somebody who has been a dedicated Pan European rider for over 16 years (ST1100's and ST1300's).

Add to this the facts that the ST1300 design is over 12 years old and costs more than the better equipped base model trophy. For only a couple of hundred pounds more than the ST1300 you can get an SE which completely shames the meagre equipment fitted to the Honda.

By all means get an ST1300, but be aware that every Trophy rider who sees you will be smug in the knowlege that they got a newer, better bike for less money.

I really am sorry to put the ST1300 down after all the years I have enjoyed riding mine, but the world has moved on and the Trophy is simply the better bike (by far!)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:40:11 PM by BluePilot »
"Let's be careful out there"

tweedy-bunch