Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tire pressure recommendations ?? TPMS??  (Read 12944 times)

Offline JohnnyV

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TrophySE & Ducati SP
  • City / Town: Phoenix, AZ
Tire pressure recommendations ?? TPMS??
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:00:28 pm »
Hello from Phoenix... I feel silly asking but, I can NOT find the recommended tire pressures listed in the bike or in the owners manual. When I try and set them at 38 front and 42 rear the silly TPMS lights flash so I guess that's too low??

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Offline Oceandiving954

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: Miami
Re: Tire pressure recommendations ?? TPMS??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:13:41 pm »
Johnny, 36 /42 respectively front to rear. "COLD"   :821:
Pacific Blue on the Atlantic :)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 11:36:43 pm »
36/42 is what it supposed to be, but my TPMS puts up a continuous warning of low pressure which gets annoying as it keeps on switching to the warning.  Running 38/44 solves the problem, with only a brief warning sometimes coming up when cold.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:25:06 am »
36 and 42.  If your TPMS warning light is on the solution is to have that fixed, not to incorrectly set tire pressure.  BTW what does the tire pressure gauge on your instrument panel read when the warning light is in.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 03:38:57 am »
At times the pressure on the instruments reads 30/36, and with some heat gets up to 36/42 even when the pressures are higher.  I am going to get it looked at when the ECU is replaced, but the demo bike here did the same thing.  The higher pressures actually work very well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:13:26 am by saaz »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:24:47 am »
Certainly no criticism of well thought out use of pressure adjustment in order to meet performance needs.  For example I vary my pressures to accommodate heavy loads or to enhance spirited riding.  What I am saying though is that increasing pressure just to avoid triggering defective warning lights is (in my opinion) neither sound maintenance nor sound mechanics.  ( no offense intended)
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:34:58 am »
The warning only got me playing around with tyre pressures earlier than I intended.  I always start at the recommended pressures, then see what works best in my riding.  I have settled on 38psi front - 40 was too hard and lacked feel and grip in my mind - which seems to give very even wear and feel.  43 or 44 psi rear seems to also work well, with reduced scalloping on the side tread.  These settings worked on the Angel STs and seem to be fine for the PR3s as I have given them a hard time in twisty dry conditions and pouring rain in twisty sections.  Pressures too high really show in the wet.  If I left the bags off I might go back to the standard pressures and there is a bit of weight in them, especially with all the needless junk I seem to carry now that I can!

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:59:21 pm »
In my short experience with the Trophy I've found the TPMS system is not very accurate.  Now before you people who have one that is spot on with your tire gauge get your panties in a knot, there are a lot of TPMS' out there that do not accurately reflect the tire pressure measured by another device.  The fact that some are accurate and some are not is a problem.  My pressure consistently reads a 2-3 lbs low so a slightly low tire will immediately trigger the system.  Now, I've had the front sensor fail and again the dealer doesn't have a part in stock and it's not available in the US.

tweedy-bunch