Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Too many repairs, I'm done  (Read 29630 times)

Offline Broom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
Too many repairs, I'm done
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:41:22 am »
What an awesome machine when it's working. Trouble is that mine is in for repairs more than it is in my own garage. It was very hard to start after mt ECU recall. I took it in and they said no faults showed on their computer. They handed me the key and said "try a new tank of gas." Walked to the bike to find the windshield had not retracted down when they shut it off (they had already "fixed" that three times, including a new windshield motor). I still rode it home. Next day, even harder to start. I took it back and said I want my money back. I didn't mention another five or so times it had to be serviced. I hope it's not much of a fight to get my money back.

So, my replacement will likely be a BMW. Just can't decide between 1600 GT, 1600 GTL, or new 1200RT.  Any suggestions?

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Too many repairs, I'm done
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:05:47 am »
RT would be the next choice for me, as a bit lifghter and was the target of the Trophy. The new partial water cooled version should be better.  The 1600 has a great motor and handling, but the gear change/shaft drive play would drive me nuts as it is worse than my 96 ST1100.  FJR and GTR are just too on the sport side for me, but great bikes.  A good local dealer would sway me.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:22:08 am »
Sorry to hear of your experience and sorry to see you leav
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »
Sad to hear, but I can relate.  Had and ST1300 previously; never doubted her for a second.   TTSE is a better bike in all ways but I'm not sure I trust her as much as I did the ST....  It's the odd once-in-a-while warnings that worry me.  When do they become permanent...   I do think Triumph is working had to fix issues but.... maybe should have done more testing instead of letting US find the problems.  $20K is too much to have to be a Beta Tester....
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Oceanside, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:02:58 am »
if i had enough money I would go for BMW GTL. I purchased my Trophy used. All the recalls and 500 mile service were previously done. All I had to do was oil and filter change. So far so good :-)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:17:21 am by MattKas »
Matt Kas
Oceanside, CA
2017 TTSE, 2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Offline carey

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:03:21 am »
I feel your pain. Mine has spent 1/3 of it's years life in the shop. Still managed to put 20K miles on it. After loosing the radiator in
Daytona, I'm not sure how far I can trust it. Like you said, awesome bike when everything is working. If it goes in the shop one more time for something other than maintenance, it will stay there.

Offline Broom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:11:14 am »
Thanks for all the replies. The bike has been in the shop over the weekend (again). I plan to talk with the shop owner tomorrow. I checked Ohio's lemon laws and my bike definitely fits at least two of the categories. Unfortunately, I didn't keep records of all my visits. I hope my dealer will give me the records so I can pursue my money back. I'm not sure how big of a fight I will get. I want the money back soon so I can get a different bike. I hate having none in the garage. I'm leaning toward BMW R1200RT with water cooled engine. Anyone familiar with lemon law proceedings? I hope I can wrap this up quickly and get back on a bike soon.

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 01:25:50 am »
I feel your pain!  Own the bike and it has been with me for maybe a few days.  Otherwise it has been in the shop. I hope you figure out how to get your money back. For us in Georgia, no lemon laws protecting motorcycle buyers. Very frustrating really.