Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: K&N Filters - Anyone tried them on the TTSE?  (Read 6690 times)

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophie SE
  • City / Town: Epsom
K&N Filters - Anyone tried them on the TTSE?
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:28 am »
Hi,
The bike is going in for servicing next month and I was thinking about replacing the original filters with K&N filters.
Has anyone done that on the TT and if so, what was the outcome?

I understand that accessing the air filters on the TT it's quite a job, and cleaning the K&N filters takes time, and when the dealer is doing it, time is (a lot of) money, but K&N claims that the filters will last 50.000 miles before cleaning, so I shouldn't worry too much about it, or should I?

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Re: K&N Filters - Anyone tried them on the TTSE?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:05:55 pm »
I had my air filter changed at about 10K when the dealer did the ECM swap.  He said it wasn't even a little dirty so I'm probably going to change it every 2-3 years or 40K miles. The filter on the Gold Wing is supposed to be changed at 12K and I changed it at 12K the first time.  Like the Trophy, changing the fitler on the Wing is a chore so I changed it at 24K the next time and again, it was barely dusty.  I will be changing it again soon at 72K and don't expect it to be really dirty.  Unless you ride on a lot of dirt roads I wouldn't expect the filter to get dirty very fast whether its a stock or aftermarket filter.  BTW, look at some performance test of the K&N filter, they let pretty large particles of dirt past the filter compared to most OEM filters.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »
As Earnest T said.  At 10,000 miles when I had the tank replaced and the head work completed I told the dealer to change the filter and to save the old one for my inspection.  He said it wouldn't be necessary to change the filter but I insisted.  I was out of town for an extended period and would not be able to inspect the filter to decide on replacement.  Besides I figured the filter was only $30 and the labor involved to change far more costly.  When I returned to pick up the bike and looked at the filter it was nearly as clean as new.  It certainly would not have needed replacement for a good long time.  The 10,000 miles I had put on it were under all kinds of conditions, except off road.  I figure that I won't even need to look at that filter until the 40,000 mile mark...at the earliest. 

I do use a K&N on my Corvette and I clean it every 5,000 miles.  Cleanability is the primary benefit of the K&N but given the difficulty of accessing the Trophy filter I won't even consider it.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mordiglio [+]
Hi,
The bike is going in for servicing next month and I was thinking about replacing the original filters with K&N filters.
Has anyone done that on the TT and if so, what was the outcome?

I understand that accessing the air filters on the TT it's quite a job, and cleaning the K&N filters takes time, and when the dealer is doing it, time is (a lot of) money, but K&N claims that the filters will last 50.000 miles before cleaning, so I shouldn't worry too much about it, or should I?
How long an air filter lasts depends on where you ride. If you ride down unpaved roads every day, I doubt it will even last 5K. But on the normal paved highways, an air filter could last half the life of the bike or longer.

I don't see how anybody can give a mileage recommendation on an air filter. It makes more sense  to think about the type of areas you have been riding in to decide when to change it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Mordiglio

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophie SE
  • City / Town: Epsom
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 05:03:21 pm »
Than you all for your replies
The main reason why I was thinking of fitting the K&N is performance

I'm perfectly happy with the TT and it's performance, for the type of bike it is, but coming from a GTR1400, which is a SPORT-tourer rather than a sport-TOURER like the Trophy, the power is the ONLY thin that I miss (slightly)
Sometimes I just feel I'm in second gear when I'm off the line

I just thought the N&K could give it that little extra kick and add a few bhp

I'm very picky I know, but that would be the last step towards perfection for a bike that's otherwise next to perfect

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:08:22 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
How long an air filter lasts depends on where you ride. If you ride down unpaved roads every day, I doubt it will even last 5K. But on the normal paved highways, an air filter could last half the life of the bike or longer.

I don't see how anybody can give a mileage recommendation on an air filter. It makes more sense  to think about the type of areas you have been riding in to decide when to change it.

-Don-  Reno, NV

That's true, but I don't think a lot of us are riding our Trophy's down a lot of dirt roads.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:34 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mordiglio [+]
Than you all for your replies
The main reason why I was thinking of fitting the K&N is performance

I'm perfectly happy with the TT and it's performance, for the type of bike it is, but coming from a GTR1400, which is a SPORT-tourer rather than a sport-TOURER like the Trophy, the power is the ONLY thin that I miss (slightly)
Sometimes I just feel I'm in second gear when I'm off the line

I just thought the N&K could give it that little extra kick and add a few bhp

I'm very picky I know, but that would be the last step towards perfection for a bike that's otherwise next to perfect
IMO, it is best to not make any such changes in a high tech machine such as the TTSE. Besides that, I doubt if you would notice any difference in performance. The ECM will just try to keep things the same.

IMO, if you want a pure sport bike, buy one! Don't try to make the TTSE into such. Keep your TTSE as a TTSE. At least that's my opinion.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:37:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]

That's true, but I don't think a lot of us are riding our Trophy's down a lot of dirt roads.
+1 :028:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch