Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The Bike is Back!  (Read 5698 times)

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
The Bike is Back!
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:54:32 pm »
Got my bike back on Saturday.  Dealer took it over the winter to do the head swap.  They also did the ECU swap and the center stand bracket. 

It's hard to provide a proper comparison because I hadn't been on the bike since the fall, but I can say that the bike runs great and I don't hear the chirping birds sound anymore.  It sounds like a proper Hinckley triple.  Some have reported that the new ECU provides a smoother throttle response (actually that would be the tune they provide with the new ECU) and I could see that as I was able to keep the front wheel on the ground this weekend  :008:

As reported in another thread, they must have enter the wrong TPS code for the front wheel because I get no reading and the bike is trowing a TPMS fault.  There's a new dealer by my house now and I'll swing by there and see if they will enter it for me.

Lastly I had the dealer install my GPS mount.  I figured they would have the bike torn apart anyway.  Unfortunately the tech ran the audio out cable up the left side of the handle bar (must have thought I would connect to it externally).  I assume that connection goes to the provided audio connect on the bike and provides the routes instruction over the speakers, right?

If so, what's the easiest way to get to that connection?  I could bring the bike back, but that would involve bringing the bike back to them and risk no seeing it for a week or two - plus it's a 60 mile ride and my wife would have to follow me down to drive me back.

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: The Bike is Back!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »
*Originally Posted by enGage [+]
I assume that connection goes to the provided audio connect on the bike and provides the routes instruction over the speakers, right?  YES

If so, what's the easiest way to get to that connection? 

Well, the easiest way is to take the left fairing bits and pieces off.  Not too hard and doesn't take very long.  Coconut put together a nice tutorial in the 'How To..." section. 

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:41:42 pm »
I think I read Coconut's tutorial a few months ago and I'll look at it again - thanks.

I guess I am hoping that given the thing is already installed that I might get away with not removing the fairing, but it is what it is.

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:57 pm »
*Originally Posted by enGage [+]

I guess I am hoping that given the thing is already installed that I might get away with not removing the fairing, but it is what it is.

I installed mine without removing the side panels, but, it was a tight fit.  You can try by just removing the left indicator housing and see what you see.  You might be able to get to everything.  Probably depends on how the tech left it all.  The plug might be right in front of you.   The indicator housing has to come off ahead of the sde panel anyway.   That takes about three minutes.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:32:25 pm »
*Originally Posted by BigD [+]
I installed mine without removing the side panels, but, it was a tight fit.  You can try by just removing the left indicator housing and see what you see.  You might be able to get to everything.  Probably depends on how the tech left it all.  The plug might be right in front of you.   The indicator housing has to come off ahead of the sde panel anyway.   That takes about three minutes.

That worked, BigD.  Just removed the indicator housing and found the connector.  I did remove the dash to route the rest of the wires down there, but that turns out to be a pretty easy job.

Garmin works as advertised now - the navigation directions play thru the speakers.  Now I need to consider a headset.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 08:55:41 am »
Hi enGage,

Out of interest where they did they connect the power supply wires ?

I'm guessing that if they didn't know about the audio connection,
then they didn't know about the power connection in the same place ...
It is designed to be a "clean" ( interference free ) power connection specifically for the Sat Nav.
( Not knowing about them is inexcusable really - they only have to READ the instructions that come with the kit ! )

My dealer ( who also didn't know about either of these connections ),
originally spliced into the power wires for the glove box auxilliary socket  :157:

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

( Not knowing about them is inexcusable really - they only have to READ the instructions that come with the kit ! )

...and that is the root of the only problem I've had with my bike.  Dealer ignorance.  (And I respectably mean that only in the dictionary sense of the term)  My heated grips were installed without instructions.  It took several visits, and ultimately, my sitting down with a highlighted instruction sheet, and reading it to them.  Magically all was well after.  I suspect an awful lot of the initial frustrations are due to dealer ignorance.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »
Coconut,

The main power connection is routed to the same area, but I did not dig to see what they actually connected it to.  They did have the print out of the instructions because the Service Manager complained about how vague they are (that was so he could charge me more - he's new and doesn't know me yet and can't seem to grasp that I friends with the guy who owns the dealer).

They did order the special connector so I would think they wired it to the right place and the connection is switched.

One question.  Why would a satnav need special power?