Sunny Motorcycle ride in Iowa by digital
[Today at 07:53:52 am]

Hello from the Chicago area. by digital
[Today at 07:50:11 am]

"best" blutooth comms system? by fluxxcomp
[Today at 05:13:59 am]

LED headlamp bulb by fluxxcomp
[Today at 05:11:54 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Views from ex or current Sprint GT owners  (Read 7596 times)

Offline mjdstrsgt

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sprint GT + STR
  • City / Town: Stratford upon Avon
Views from ex or current Sprint GT owners
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:41:53 pm »
OK so I am interested in feedback from Trophy owners who previously had or still have, in addition, a Sprint GT.

What do you prefer about the Trophy and why?

What do you miss about the Sprint GT?

Thanks

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Views from ex or current Sprint GT owners
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 02:30:02 pm »
I will reply here even though I do not have a GT.   :107:

I have kept my ST 1050 (and Tiger 955) as well as the TTSE.  When I got the TT I said I might get rid of the Tiger.  The salesman said it would more likely be the ST when I had got used to the TT.  He is probably right if I ever got rid of a bike!  I ride the TT, ST and Tiger alternately unless the weather is predicted to be bad when I use the TT.  If I am two up I use the TT as well as the pillion is a lot happier on the TT.  I have got Genmar risers on the ST so it is a bit more upright (so perhaps closer to the riding position of the GT??)  I still use the St and it is different, seems a lot quicker (especially when the front comes off the floor on acceleration in first and second) but no where near as smooth.  If anythign the TT seems much more sure footed. .  My Fitbit pedometer racks up many steps on the ST but hardly any on the same journey on the TT (even on Sport mode).  Showing the Sprint jumps around more on potholes and bumps in the road.  It is very noticeable on the activity screen for the fitbit.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:00 pm »
I have a 2001 Sprint 955 ST.  I couldn't bear to sell it when I bought the Trophy.  In fact I will never sell it.  It has proven to be the best bike I've ever owned.  It has carried me everywhere around this country.  I've even ridden to Alaska and back on it.  It has been absolutely stone reliable.  It handles better than the Trophy.  It is faster than the Trophy.  The seat is more comfortable than the Trophy.  It is more reliable than the Trophy.  It does not have the weather protection of the Trophy.  It does not have the heating elements of the Trophy.  It does'n't have the audio.  They both have the same luggage capacity. 
My only gripe on the ST is that I am tired of changing sprockets and chains.  And I am tired of adjusting chains.  Even though both are easy. Just tired of it.  That is one reason I like the driveshaft Trophy.  But if I was limited to one bike only, there is no question I would stick with my Sprint ST 955.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:56:38 pm by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline mjdstrsgt

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies - appreciate you and John and TrupTR taking the time to share your experiences.

And I am tired of adjusting chains.

I have a Scottoiler fitted to my GT and the chain never needs adjusting in between services, and still on original chain and sprockets with no discernible signs of wear

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:55:49 pm »
mjdstrsgt, How many miles on the bike?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:06:49 am by w8d4it »
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:09 am »
I have limited experience on the Sprint GT, I've ridden my friends a few times. He is trading the Sprint for a TTSE this weekend.
What do I prefer about the TTSE, pretty much everything. Riding position, wind protection, power, handling, pillion comfort.
That said, the Sprint ST 1050 is a really nice bike that I enjoyed riding, except for the aggressive seating position.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline mjdstrsgt

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:57:34 am »
How many miles on the bike?

Just through 16k miles - in for 3 year service today - not adjusted chain since last service at 10K

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:24:31 am »
That is an extraordinary time between adjustments.  If the chain is still riding right you must be doing something right.  16000 + for the life o a chain seems right.  My first chain I replaced at 15000 simply because I didn't want to be somewhere in the middle of nowhere between Houston and the Arctic Ocean looking for a chain and sprockets.  Then after a hard 12000 miles up and back, including a lot of rain and dirt roads I decided another change was due.  Then again at 40,000 miles.  When I see the sprockets begin to hook or the chain to loosen links I figure it is time to take care of matters.  The bike has been good to me because I have been good to it.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch