Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Thinking of down sizing  (Read 2520 times)

Offline BigRed

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Milford, MI
Thinking of down sizing
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:50:25 am »
I just joined. Hello to all. I'm currently riding a 99 Goldwing GL1500 SE. I want to down size on weight and up grade on technology. I went for a short ride on the Trophy a few days ago and was quite impressed. I need to be able to attach highway pegs for longer cruises (6'4"), engine guards (because we all know it will get dropped - usually when standing still) and some type of backrest. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ChallengerSRT8

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kitchener Ontario
Re: Thinking of down sizing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:42:14 am »
Hello I just traded my 2007 gold wing in for the trophy> I only have a few hundred miles on the Trophy but so far so good. Who could complain about a wing? They are great bikes. My suggestion is do not try to compare . Just enjoy the fun factor with the Trophy. My only requirement was cruise control as my wrists are shot. As for pegs I am too new to comment. My biggest concern about my down size is how the wife will deal with losing her Goldwing couch. Time will tell. She is a Brit so I bought her a Brit Triumph T that she loves but she also loved the wing couch. Stay tuned.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:18:35 am »
Hi bigred and welcome :400:

you might be downsizing but you will be upgrading when it comes to fun!

With regard to the crash bars look at a great write up coconut did here

several people have attached highway pegs, lights and horns to these badboys and Coconut will also give great testimony about the good they do in a spill.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:41 am »
Welcome to the Forum :400: you will be downsizing in weight only.   Everything else will be an upgrade
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:37:52 am »
Hi BigRed and  :400:  to the Forum !

Crash bars ? ( Which the manufacturers call "Adventure Bars" ) - A definite "must have" in my book !  :015:

I haven't experienced riding the Trophy as a pillion, but those on here that have,
all seem to be of the opinion that it is very comfortable, especially with the rubber back rest pad fitted,
( which is an optional extra ), that fits onto the top box  :169:

There aren't too many alternatives than the Triumph seating
( but you can get Low, High, Heated, and Comfort Triumph seats ),
although Corbin now do one which can have an integrated Back rest : Corbin seat for Triumph Trophy

Cropbiker is correct when he says that some members have fitted Highway Pegs,
but you may have your work cut out to find something suitable ....

All the ones I have seen do not allow you to stretch your legs out fully,
as the only place they can easily be attached to is the "Crash Bars",
and they just don't protrude forward far enough ( in my opinion ).

Offline Leak

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver ;-) Trophy SE
  • City / Town: St Austell, Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:12 am »

Hello and  :400: to the forum
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:59 am »
Hi BigRed; welcome aboard, have no boubt you will enjoy the Trophy very much :821:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:22 pm »
 :400: to the forum!  I'm trying to figure out how to make a set of highway pegs look at least acceptable on the R&G bars right now, and finally relegated myself to having my youngest stepson procure some obsolete aluminum castings from the equipment his company makes and fabricate my own.  None of the ones on the market are attractive, or are not designed to fit the size tubing the R&B bars are made from.  Square one thing again!  I'm also looking at trying to buy just the backrest and associated hardware part from Utopia (coming from GW you may be familiar with them), and making my own base to mount it to.  That looks like a pretty straightforward process with just average mechanical ability, and I may even try to finish up with dimensional drawings on it so others can make their own if they're interested.  Looks to me like mounting the base for a backrest to the passenger seat should be really easy and follow the same installation method Utopia uses - they just don't make a mount for the Trophy.  Seems to be a perplexing lack of after market stuff for our bikes.  Maybe once the word is out and a lot of others have finally discovered what we already know about the Trophy, some of the accessory guys will have to gear up with some good stuff for us!  As it is I've just adapted an Enduro Engineering GS bracket and a SW Motech vibration resistant mount, and a Plano waterproof gear box all together to use my automotive GPS instead of spending $700 US for a dedicated motorcycle device.  Ain't in fun!!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies