Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Oil Change after head replacement  (Read 10872 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Oil Change after head replacement
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:03:53 pm »
There are 70+ pages on the head replacement thread.  I  didn't find my answer to this is specific comment/question so I thought I'd start a new thread. 

I just had the head replaced.   I figured it was a no brainer that one replace the oil and filter anytime the engine has been opened up.  But I figured I had better ask.  Incredibly (in my opinion) the dealer said there was no record of an oil change on the work order and Triumph doesn't specifically say to replace the oil and filter.  The tech who did the engine wasn't in that week so the service manager couldn't say for sure.  I was surprised, to put it mildly. 

So today I am changing the oil.  And I am glad I did.  I doubt it was the oil from my last oil change.  That oil would have been Mobil 4T, full synthetic and would have had only 3000 miles on it.  Yet it looked like grey baby oil, not brown, not black.   I've never seen my oil come out this color or this thin when I change it.  The bike has 10,000 miles on it and this is the fourth time I've changed the oil on the Trophy. (Once at once at 500 miles, once 3000, once at 7000 miles and now at 10,000).   I suspect that the dealer did in fact change the oil but with some kind of low brand garbage. Otherwise I can't understand why the oil would look so bad.  Good thing I put less than 100 miles on it before deciding to change. 

What have others experienced after the head replacement?  Was your oil changed by the dealer?  Did you change it?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:39:08 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline rchollebon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trothy SEE
  • City / Town: Twickenham
Re: Oil Change after head replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:34:24 pm »
Thanks for bringing this up, I will be checking with my dealer tomorrow, as I agree with you, the oil and filter should be changed at the same time the head is replaced, I just assumed it would have been done, will let you know the result

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:06 pm »
Now I'm even more angry.  Not only does it look like low quality oil (hence not the Mobil 4T I had in there) but it also is almost a liter short.  When I drain the oil drain pan into the empty four 1 Liter bottles that I used to replace the oil, I can only fill 3 and 1/3 full.  This is the same dealer that I complained about earlier.
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,2198.msg28599.html#msg28599

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:45 am »
Oil in the filter?
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:27:04 am »
No. I always account for the oil in the filter.  It needs to drained into bottle and properly recycled.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Fast Ed15

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Northport,NY
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 03:48:40 am »
Had dealer change oil and filter after head work, was not part of head work.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:14:33 am »
Obviously a wise move on your part but it seems absurd that Triumph does not make  changing the oil and filter required  as part of the process.  Who in their right mind opens up the engine and doesn't change the oil?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:51:17 am »
I don't like to be alarmist, but engine oil that is a grey colour, could be due to WATER
getting into the engine and emulsifying the oil, such as in the case of a blown cylinder head gasket,
( although usually more of a beige colour than grey ).

Have you a photograph of the drained oil that you could post ?

( The only way to tell for sure would be to have a sample of it tested in a Lab ! )

As the most recent work done on the bike involved the cylinder head coming off,
and you've never experienced this discolouration before,
and the Dealer has said ( though not confirmed ) that they haven't changed the oil
for a different brand, or type, then I would be most concerned to get this fully checked out  :159:

tweedy-bunch