Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: High pitched sound when ignition on  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
  • City / Town: Livingston
High pitched sound when ignition on
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »
Hello all, bought the Trophy last week. Had to just bring it home , stick it I the garage and then go away on a weeks holiday. I went to the bike today and turned the ignition on to make a start to learn the way round the menu / functions. There is a high pitched sound coming from the bike when I have the ignition on. Can't hear it when the engine is running. It's not loud but sounds odd to me. When I turn the ignition off it stops after a few seconds when there is a sort of click from the bike. It's my first day out on it tomorrow and I'll try and get it to the dealer next week sometime. Anyone have a similar noise at all?

Thanks, Donald

Offline Leak

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver ;-) Trophy SE
  • City / Town: St Austell, Cornwall
Re: High pitched sound when ignition on
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:00:57 pm »

Hi Donald,

The click you can hear after you turn the bike off is most probably the lock on the little storage box to the left hand side of the bike. Reference the high pitched noise you are hearing I cannot say I have ever come across it.  Possibly someone else on the forum might have heard it and will no doubt add to this thread if that is the case.  One possibility - do you have the radio on and not tuned into anything  :187: :084: :187:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:03:57 pm »
I believe your hearing the servo.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:07:24 pm »
The fuel pump makes a whining noise, but its very low volume.  If you turn the ignition on and don't start the bike you can hear it.

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:54 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
The fuel pump makes a whining noise, but its very low volume.  If you turn the ignition on and don't start the bike you can hear it.
I always thought that was the throttle servo, but i guess it could be the fuel pump. Anyway, it always whines.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:30:20 pm »
Thanks lads, just been out mucking about with the bike. Yes, it does seem to be a servo / pump type thing, I just didn't notice it when I picked the bike up, I didn't have it sitting with the ignition ion without starting the bike right enough. I'll go with it meantime and when I'm next near the dealers I'll pop in. The Trophy is quite a rare bike, I don't know of anyone in my area who has one to kind of bounce off of.

Easter egg run to a childrens hospice near Loch Lomond tomorrow, puts things like wee noises into perspective I guess.

Thanks again, Donald

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 08:40:55 am »
I asked the same quesion quite a while ago : Engine off - what are those noises ?,
and the general concencus was that it is the fuel system bleeding pressure from the fuel rail back into the tank.

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
1) The click is the glove box solenoid - you can also hear it every time when you come to a stop if you listen for it.

2) There is a faint hum from the speakers weather the radio is on or off- key on, kill switch off.

3) The throttle motor - key on, kill switch on; rotate the throttle grip and the noise will change slightly.  Stops a few seconds after key off.

None of the above is noticeable while riding, except maybe the glove box lock, but I usually don't notice it.

Enjoy your new Trophy, a fantastic motorcycle.
Cheers,
Ken

tweedy-bunch