Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Engine management light  (Read 2249 times)

Offline steve holbrook

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy1200se
  • City / Town: long eaton
Engine management light
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:50:44 am »
Easter sunday I went out a ride to south yorkshire sidecar weekend nr Doncaster. A quick zip up the M1 Mostly at 50MPH due to road work. Having parked up and switched off the engine. One hour later the bike would not start, however the engine management light was staying on. I tried several things, like turning off and on several times , engaging the gears and finding neutral again, Pulling the main fuse to see if it would re-boot. but nothing made a difference. One hour later after calling the relay truck I tried it once more and guess what, the B_____d started and ran perfectly the 50 miles home. 
Has anyone had the same problem and got a solution other than take it to the dealer for diagnostics. steve holbrook
PROBLEM now sorted. It turns out that when the mechanics changed the ECU they didnt reprogram both keys, so it didn't recognise the key I was using. Make sure your spare key is working.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:21:15 pm by steve holbrook »

Offline Trophyman12

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Re: Engine management light
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:50:48 am »
Hi Steve. Mine used to cut out and put the engine management light on. I used to switch the ignition off and leave it for ten minuites before restarting. EMS light stayed on still for about 30 miles then cleared itself. This was all sorted out when the ECU and TPS were done. Have you had these mods yet?
Previous Bikes YAMAHA FJR1300 SUZUKI TL1000R            APRILLIA RSV1000 MILLIE YAMAHA YZF R1 SUZUKI GSXR1000
SUZUKI SV650S and countless others.

Offline steve holbrook

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy1200se
  • City / Town: long eaton
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:27 am »
Yes the ECU has been changed but whats the TPS? steve.

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:55:56 pm »
Its the ECM that gets replaced. The TPS are the tyre pressure sensors.

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:33:21 pm »
I think he's referring to the TPS trottle position sensor. Tire pressure is TPMS. I dont think they even change out the TPS anymore do they. The problem is all in the ECU? The TPS change was an early fix?
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »
Correct the TPS (throttle position sensor) was an early attempt at a fix.  I say attempt because I don't know anyone who had the TPS replacement done that had the problem reoccur before the recall for the ECU came out.  I know that several people got the TPS replacement but subsequently were covered by the ECU recall.  In my case they replaced the TPS and before the other recalls affecting the bike were completed the ECU recall came out.  Assuming these replacements take care of the cut out problem I'll never know which one worked. 

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor
TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trophyman12

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 06:51:06 pm »
Its the Throttle Position sensor. Icould feel the difference when it was replaced.
Previous Bikes YAMAHA FJR1300 SUZUKI TL1000R            APRILLIA RSV1000 MILLIE YAMAHA YZF R1 SUZUKI GSXR1000
SUZUKI SV650S and countless others.