Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Thinking of turning front blinker(signal) lights into running/blinker lights  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Oceanside, CA
The way to turn the signal lights into Running/Signal lights is to first change the 1156 type (single contact) bulb socket to a 1157 type (dual contact) socket. I did this on my previous BMW K1200LT just by ordering 1157 dual contact sockets from the dealer. I wonder if anybody knows if the front blinker openings are compatible with BMW 1157 bulb sockets. or I can order Triumph 1157 bulb sockets. Any body know the part number? I am thinking of pulling a switched power line from accessory power outlets. Once I get it working then I can try to see if I can use 1157 LED bulbs without causing any issue. Any opinions?
Matt Kas
Oceanside, CA
2017 TTSE, 2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Offline rocksteady

• Trophy Member
  • Searching for satellites
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Reading, Berkshire
I'm guessing by running lights you mean lights? Maybe it's me not understanding but as I see it you want your indicators to stay on when they are not being used to indicate, and the reason for that is what exactly? To my way of thinking it's definitely a case of more is less. But hey if it floats your boat go ahead, fill your boots.
Cheer up they said, things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough things DID get worse!

Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
Yes, the low power lights would stay on all the time in the mean time high power indicators (blinkers) would turn on when needed. Similar to brake lights but amber color and in the front. The reason is for more visibility. It would make the bike look bigger :-) LOL

Matt
Matt Kas
Oceanside, CA

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
My son's FJR works this way from the factory,  i.e., the amber indicators are always on and flash when being used as a turn signal.  It does give his bike more visibility.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
I will throw this in the pot.

As with some cars. My lights are on then when I turn on the indicator that particular side light goes off and you just get the indicator.
. Once cancelled the light goes back on.

seadog
seadog

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Sorry guys just not to cause confusion. I have not done anything with my bike lights. My last post was just a example of possibilities.

seadog :430:
seadog

Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
 So does anybody know the Triumph Part number for dual contact 1157 type bulb socket which would fit into the same opening of front signal single contact bulb housing? I am trying to replace 1156 type (single contact) bulb socket with 1157 (dual contact) bulb sockets in the front signal /blinker housings.

I can get the universal type like this
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Directional-Indicator-Bulb-Socket/_/N-8ijbo?itemIdentifier=125814_0_0_

But I thought it would be an easier fit with Triumph part
Matt Kas
Oceanside, CA

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Hi MattKas,

( EDITED 6th May - Changed Photos and additional wiring info ) :

Do you know if there IS a particular Triumph Model that uses the type of lamp & holder that you're looking for ?
I have looked but can't find one, so there may not be a "Triumph" Part number  :110:

There are similar "universal" 1157 bulbholders in the UK, but the locking lug positions are different
to the ones used on the Trophy, which have 3 equally spaced lugs - like this :

There is also the issue of electrical connections - so you'll need a new "wired" bulbholder.

The closest I can find are bulbholders used on the Land Rover Freelander Mark 1, Rear Bumper Stop / Tail lights ....

Here's a link to someone in the UK that sells these -
Bulb Holder Freelander 1 Bumper Stop/Tail lamp/light

Maybe if you contacted them, they could send a Photo showing the locating lugs in more detail ?

If it looks promising, you could visit your local Land Rover dealer to see if they can compare the fitting ?

Then, if the bulbholder actually fits into the housing, all you need to do is modify the wiring by splicing
the wires from the new fitting, into the exisiting wires, and leaving the Triumph moulded plug unconnected  :028:

Good luck - and let us know how you get on !  :169:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:51:41 am by Coconut »