Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Would you ride one?  (Read 6220 times)

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
Would you ride one?
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:06 pm »
I was reading an article recently about Maxi Scooters. The article suggested that a scooter could be a good alternative to a conventional motorcycle as we get older. Now I must admit, I don't get my leg over my Trophy with the ease I used to, but I am a long way off giving up my biking.
So, could any of you see yourself riding one of these Maxi Scooters one day, or is that just a step to far. :084:

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Would you ride one?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:58 pm »
Yes, I would ride one if and when the day comes. My buddy has a Yamaha T-Max 500 and that thing is a blast to ride. faster than it has a right to be and handles very well too. He and his wife take it on trips of a week or more and have no issues at all. I am not willing to give up my Trophy or a regular motorcycle yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to own a scooter if that need arises. Even the 250 Honda will haul you at 70+ mph all day long and is comfy doing it.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:49:39 pm »
I've never ridden one but my brother is a dealer for several brands (Triumph (naturally :002:) and Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki.   When I attempted to "put down" the maxis as unsuitable for rural riding he told me they accelerate and handle surprisingly well. He says the maxi scooters are big sellers, which surprises me because he is in a non-metropolitan area. As for me I'm only 60 so I figure I have another 25-30 years before I have to think about it.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:12:46 pm »
I owned a Honda Silverwing for a couple years. That thing was a blast to ride. Theres a stigma attached to riding scooters that is completely absurd. If your worried about your appearances then absolutely don't ride one, but if your comfortable in your manhood, go take a Kimco, Burgman, a silverwing or a Tmax for a ride. They be a different animal!
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:00 pm »
I've heard that.  Can I ask why you gave it up?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:19 am »
Lack of square footage. a Versys took its place......which by the way was also a totally fun bike.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:24:28 am »
For me moving the Trophy around is heavy until your moving, I think you have to fight the getting older thing, but if when I do get to old I would certainly consider a scooter we rent one when we go to Greece on hols and they do the job, it would have to be silver though !

Roger

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:00:57 am »
I must confess to having owned a Burgman 650 Executive. I had just sold my BMW 1200RT, and thought I would try one. I read every road report I could, and eventually got a test ride and bought one. It was a big mistake!! In a funny sort of way I found myself using it more, I would go to town etc on it, and local trips, but when it came to distance I couldn't stand it, my wife also hated it. I think there is a physiological issue to get over as well.
I sold the Burgman to a guy who had just sold his BMW 1200RT, I kept in touch with him for a while, he absolutely loved it!! Just goes to show how individual we are as bikers.
Before I bought my Trophy, I did look at the new BMW 650GT ( Maxi scooter), I thought it blurred the lines between conventional motorbike and scooter, but it was a lot of money and no test ride was available.
So here I am a happy Trophy owner, would I buy one when I get older? Don't know, still thinking :084: