Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bike cutting out issue.  (Read 3150 times)

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
Bike cutting out issue.
« on: April 26, 2014, 02:34:47 pm »
The bike cutting out issue has happened to me for the first time today!!  :233:

Slowing in traffic on the VERY busy Motorway in lane two when the bike just died!!

Has the new ECU solved this problem because this was just F@*#ing dangerous!!

Dave.
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Bike cutting out issue.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »
Oh yeah its dangerous.  You should try having it happen to you when on the Interstate Highway going 75MPH with a camion about 50 feet behind you.  Not once, but twice! 

Does the ECU change work?  Who knows?  But it is the recall that Triumph is counting on so I'd take my bike in as soon as possible if I were you.  If you don't and you get killed next time the cut out happens then your next of kin won't have grounds to sue but if you do have the recall work done and the cut out happens again and you get killed well then your next of kin will have a grounds to sue!  (that is meant to be a joke, just in case anyone takes me seriously).  My advice:  get that ECU changed ASAP.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:37:09 pm »
Bike is booked in for it's holiday back to the factory on May 14th so head work, ecu and centre stand issues should be dealt with at the same time.

Bloody hope so anyway.

Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:45:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by davybull [+]
The bike cutting out issue has happened to me for the first time today!!  :233:

Slowing in traffic on the VERY busy Motorway in lane two when the bike just died!!

Has the new ECU solved this problem because this was just F@*#ing dangerous!!

Dave.
It's obvious that the ECM recall did fix the problem. Before the recall, this forum was full of messages about the TTSE engine suddenly dying, most dealers incorrectly blaming the TPS. After the recalls, not a single message in this forum about a TTSE suddenly dying and no more "TPS failures".

The ECM recall is because Triumph  knows it's very "F@*#ing dangerous".

BTW, it has never happened to me and the Reno Triumph Dealer has not even had a single complaint about this problem, even before the recall. So it wasn't that common of a problem, but in a forum  like this with so many owners all over the world, it doesn't have to be a common problem for us to hear about it happening often.

I've been in many cycle forums for many brands. If I went by that, I would think every motorcycle made was a piece  of unreliable  junk.  But I am still waiting for the 2nd gear to crap out on my 1984 Venture, which is a very common problem, even on fairly new bikes, as seen in the Venture Forum, even back then.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:49:52 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Does the ECU change work?  Who knows?
Since the exact cause was discovered by Triumph, I would say there is very little doubt that the recall does work. This forum proves such too, IMO.

If it has happened since the recall, we would be the first to hear about it right here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:31:28 pm »
Dom,
       Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this bike it was just unexpected and put me in a really dangerous situation where I had to force myself through a flowing lane (all be it relatively slowly) and onto the shoulder. It has been just about faultless up to now but I won't now be riding it until it goes back on the 14th for all the work to be done.

In hind site I should have had the ECM done but I was waiting for it to go back to the factory where all the jobs could be done at once.

Oh Well.

Dave.
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline NeXTer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE(L) 13
  • City / Town: Link÷ping
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 10:39:48 pm »
IF the bike died briefly flashing a message of "TTC deactivated" and then the engine and TC lights came on, you may have run into the same issue I did.

If this was the case, you pull the master fuse on top of the battery for a few seconds, then reinsert it, start the bike, disengage traction control in the menu and ride home and the tyres looked at ASAP.

Why? The traction control works by comparing the rotational speed of the front and rear wheels, cutting the ignition if the rear wheel is faster than the front, which also happens if the rear tyre is worn enough, or your tyres are otherwise out of spec.

I had this happen twice in the week before replacing my worn tyres with new ones. Scary as heck, so make sure your tyres are good!

tweedy-bunch