Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Headlamp 'Bulb' replacement  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Headlamp 'Bulb' replacement
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
Has anyone tried to replace any headlamp bulbs yet? I have looked at replacing the originals with 'NEW OSRAM H4 NIGHT BREAKER PLUS BULBS H4 472 12v 60/55w' which is a straight swap. Although Triumph do state only use genuine Triumph supplied headlight bulbs.

My problem came about when following the Owner's Handbook on the procedure page 154 'Remove the two fixings and remove the lower yoke cover (easy enough) to allow access to the bulbs from underneath!!!!!' Joke. It might allow access from the underneath if only you could see the rear of the lamps as in the second diagram.   :187:

As far as I can 'see' pardon the pun, this procedure as described would have to be done blind and as you might know the retaining springs for these bulbs ain't the most user friendly items.

There is possibly a 'message' on page 153 under Caution 'Always have replacement headlight bulbs installed by an authorised Triumph dealer.' And a Note 'IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE HEADLIGHT WHEN BULB REPLACEMENT BECOMES NECESSARY!!!!' Another gem :087:

Thought it was going to be a simple less costly option to spending £260 + fitting to have Adventure fog lights fitted for a bit more visibility.

Answers on a postcard please :172:

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Headlamp 'Bulb' replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
As bikes become more complicated with more electronics and the manufactorers puttting more equipment on the bike, things like light changing becomes more difficult.

I bought a Honda Civic last year and to change one of the headlight bulbs, I have to remove the battery clamp!

The problem for those of us who consume a lot of miles, is that we need to know how to change the bulbs without too much fuss.

With the honda Civic, I have a small head torch as this helps, but I have to do most of it blind. I guess I shall have to do the same with the Triumph.

Given they are Halogens that only have a life of a year, I reckon we will all learn howw to change these ourselves.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
 :018: Had Noel ( Super-Wrench) at Ray Price Triumph plug a pair of PIAA Extreme White H4 bulbs 55w=110w in place and it is significantly brighter than stock halogens. :017:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:01:57 PM »
Just checked out the PIAAs over here. They are nearly £60!!!

Are they really worth it?

George Harrison

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
Hey Robin. Well, I'm 60 yrs old, wear trifocals and although I am a YOUNG 60 years old, I have trouble seeing well enough at night while driving entirely too fast! So for me, any amount of dollars is worth it if I can get enough light intensity and distance to give me all the feedback I need to stay out of trouble...I also have a pair of PIAA 1100 LED lamps down on the front forks. They were nearly $500 for the pair. But still worth it to me. -Dr Ron  :821:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
I will give that a think Dr Ron. I need to be seen as well as seeing, given I have a 100 mile round commute.

Thanks.

George Harrison

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »
Using Triumph only supplied H4 bulbs is BS. Any 12v H4 will do. Triumph will buy there bulbs from a bulb manufacturer they don't make their own.
BUT be careful higher wattage bulbs although sold could cause a MOT failure ( in 3 years ) or a failure if pulled by VOSA. They also run a lot hotter and its not the first time I've seen plastic head lamp lenses warped due to this mistake.
I just drop the screen hight to afford a better view, its windier but works for me :821:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Ndo

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
The best thing to put on those headlight is HID lights. Had them in all my other bikes...I am looking to see if I can nap a set that would work with the TT

tweedy-bunch