Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)  (Read 5487 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ernest T

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1089
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
  • Country: USA
This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:27:19 pm »
So I start the Trophy this morning and there is a rapid ticking sound from the front of the engine. It went away after a few seconds, but it happens every time I start it.  Since I had to pick up my new Triumph Tiger 800, which I couldn't bring home last night because of a check engine light, I just rode it over to the dealer.  The cam chain tensioner has failed.  They ordered the parts, but they are not likely to be in the US so it will probably another 2-3 week wait to get the bike back.  This is just goes on and on.

Offline CoJaW

  • Trophy Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 150
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
  • Country: UK
Re: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:05:14 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
So I start the Trophy this morning and there is a rapid ticking sound from the front of the engine. It went away after a few seconds, but it happens every time I start it.

Hi Ernest T!
I think the rapid ticking sound from the front of the engine is the fuel pump. It quickly gets the fuel pressure up to normal running pressure and then stops.

Offline triucati

  • Trophy Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 246
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
  • Country: USA
Re: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:47:54 am »
Mine also makes a loud ticking/ratcheting sound from the front of the motor sometimes at startup.  I thought the sound would go away after the recall head replacement,  but it still does it.  I have wondered what is causing the noise,  but I would have never guessed it is the fuel pump.

Offline w8d4it

  • Trophy God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5337
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
  • Country: USA
Re: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:13 am »
CoJaW may be right.   Next time you go to start the bike turn the key on without starting, wait a minute and see if it makes a difference.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Ernest T

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1089
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
  • Country: USA
Re: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »
*Originally Posted by CoJaW [+]
Hi Ernest T!
I think the rapid ticking sound from the front of the engine is the fuel pump. It quickly gets the fuel pressure up to normal running pressure and then stops.

It's not the fuel pump.  You can hear that spin up if you turn the key to on and don't start the bike.  This sound occurs after the bike has caught and before it settles down to idle.  The technician said its the cam tensioner and the noise happens as the oil pressure  builds up.

Offline Ernest T

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1089
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
  • Country: USA
Re: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:55:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
CoJaW may be right.   Next time you go to start the bike turn the key on without starting, wait a minute and see if it makes a difference.

Not the fuel pump, see my response to CoJaW

Offline Ernest T

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1089
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
  • Country: USA
Re: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »
*Originally Posted by triucati [+]
Mine also makes a loud ticking/ratcheting sound from the front of the motor sometimes at startup.  I thought the sound would go away after the recall head replacement,  but it still does it.  I have wondered what is causing the noise,  but I would have never guessed it is the fuel pump.

This is a very obvious ratatatatatatata noise.  Not really loud, but very pronounced.  My Trophy didn't make any noise remotely like this for the almost 12,000 miles.  I know what a fuel pump sounds like and its not remotely like this noise.

Offline Ernest T

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1089
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
  • Country: USA
Re: This is Getting Ridiculeous (Ernest T's Trophy)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 02:12:29 pm »
Since 2007 I've bought 8 new bikes including the Trophy and a Tiger 800 XC.  They all had fuel pumps and all made a noise when you turned on the key.  A fuel pump is an electrical motor or pump sound.  Its a quiet whirring noise.  This noise is a mechanical tapping at a very high frequency--the closest description I can think of is a bicycle's spokes flapping a playing card, except more metallic sounding.  Three technicians and the service manager stood around the bike and listened to the noise.  It's the cam tensioner and its very troubling because it was replaced under the TSB for head noise right?