Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: European tour  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Iain

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stornoway
European tour
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:25:25 pm »
I'm planning on a European tour hopefully in June which will inevitably involve quite a bit of motorway riding.
So just wondering what owners find is a good speed on motorways/highways that gives good fuel economy and yet leaves you feeling your making good progress
Honda VFR 2002
Sprint ST 2007
Sprint ST 2009
Sprint GT 2011
Trophy SE 2013

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: European tour
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 05:34:17 pm »
Hi Iain

I tend to travel at 75mph more for noise level's etc, and then out of town ! ( joking ) I havnt noticed the mpg specifically at that speed, but I normally get 52.6 mpg on my normal riding but recently we rode two up and luggage and it went to 49 ish mpg mainly motorway miles.

Regards

Roger

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »
It depends which country you are in. I find that in France 75 to 80 mph is fine and you are keeping pace with most traffic overtaking some cars and all hgv.
In Germany I tend to cruise at 80 to 85 mph this way I am passing hgvs quickly enough not to get in the way of the German car drivers. They do drive very quickly and well over 100 mph is not unusual. If you are in the way they can get impatient.
I haven't done a lot of motorway mileage on the trophy yet but I noticed today that when doing over 75 the instant mpg reading fell just below 50.
I found that about 400 motorway miles were plenty for me in a day and music through the Sat nav helped relieve the boredom.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:35:15 pm »
Yes.... most motorways on the continent I do between 70 & 90mph.... it just really depends on what scenery is around.... after all if I wanted to get there hyper quick I would fly.... I want to enjoy the journey too.

I always set the satnav on avoid highways and avoid tolls when 'doing' mainland Europe.... tends to get you places via a more interesting twisty route but at a reasonable pace. My last big trip round Europe I was averaging 55mpg+ which was backed up with real number calculations.... not just the bike computer.

Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »
In the short time I've owned the Trophy I find gas mileage to be very speed sensitive.  Sixty five and below I tend to get 50 mpg or better.  Above 65 it drops dramatically until at 75-80 its down to near 40 mpg. The speed limit where I ride tends to be 70 mph on secondary highways, 75 mph on major two lane highways and 80 mph on four lane limited access.  We have one that you can legally drive 85 mph on.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:46:11 pm by Ernest T »

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »
on French highways I try not to exceed 85 mph, the repressive arsenal in place being quite dissuasive! at that speed it normaly burns just below 6l per 100 kms which translates into 47mpg (Imperial)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:09:11 pm by Verdun95 »
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:57:40 pm »
A dealer, giving the Trophy a "good work out" tells me that he did a steady 100mph (in the UK! - how did he avoid a ticket?) using the cruise control and got 50mpg. He told this story as he was impressed with the economy. He was travelling solo with little luggage
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

tweedy-bunch