Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Livingston to Richonich Wester Ross  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
  • City / Town: Livingston
Livingston to Richonich Wester Ross
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:30:19 pm »
Hi folks, just back from a few days up north on the new Trophy, well, new to me anyway. Left Livingston, West Lothian at 9.30am and headed up the A9 until Pitlochry. There were 16 of us in total. We phoned the Pitlochry Golf club who were happy to take us. We all had the breakfast there to keep us going for the day. We went further north on the A9 until Dalwhinnie where we then took the A86 to Spean Bridge. This road is fantastic with views over Loch Laggan. We were blessed with sunshine for the two days of this trip. The mountains still have snow near the summits and this made the views even better. Once at Spean Bridge we stopped at the Commando memorial. It looks over toward ben Nevis, spectacular on Monday. We took the A82 north to Fort Augustus and up the side of Loch Ness to Drumnadrochit where we turned left and headed for Beauly on the A833 and then onto the A832 to  join the A835 towards Ullapool. This road is one of my favourites and the Trophy really shone here. Ullapool is a nice wee place for a stop. On the bikes again and we took the small road toward the Summer isles and Achiltibui. We went to the Summer Isles hotel for a drink but it's a fortune for anything here, still, superb views. From there we took a small winding road to Lochinver, not my cup of tea, 3rd gear a lot of the time but the reward is a fantastic view of the mountains of Stac Pollaidh, Suilven and Canisp all together. Breath taking view. This is where one of the lads got a puncture, 1cm gash that the gloop could not hold. He was recovered back to Livingston, shame. We went on to Lochinver and then back onto great, fast sweeping roads  of the A837, A894 north to our Hotel at Richonich. The owners were great and as we had run late held dinner till we all got there about 8.30pm. I had the best fish I have ever tasted.  The chap at the hotel even lit a peat fire in the residents lounge for us. the Richonich Hotel is getting renovated little by little and some aspects could do with upgrade by my room had been done and it was first class. the food was terrific and the breakfast in the morning was spot on.
The next morning we popped up to Durness . More single track but great roads. This is what riding a bike is all about. We came back south past the hotel again and turned left at Laxford Bridge on the A838 down the side of Loch Shin. The water was like a mirror. We got to Inverness and took the A82 all the way to Fort William then south through Glencoe. This is a must for motorcyclists. We reached Tyndrum, on the A82 which is a common haunt for bikers where had a few coffees and said our goodbyes then all headed our separate ways. In total I covered 662 miles over the two days. I loved the Trophy and I'm glad I chopped in the GTR.
Anyway, it's worth a look if you are heading north and need a few ideas. All the best

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
Re: Livingston to Richonich Wester Ross
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 04:32:03 pm »
I tried to add a few photos but it keeps saying the files are too large. Never mind.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:51:39 pm »
Great ride and review. Driven on some of those roads and once stayed at Drumnadrochit and the Loch ness museum.
It is on my list this year for a good run over that area. As I have mentioned in other posts I want to stay at Applecross if the rooms are not all taken.

seadog :062: :158: :821:
seadog

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:55:46 pm »
Thanks Seadog. The road over the pass to Applecross is truly amazing. The problem with the Applecross Inn is that you have to book several months in advance. If you wait it will be full. As it's the only pub for miles they often have to turn folk away even for a drink if it's high season. we went a few years back, enjoyed the road and then went over the bridge to Skye and stayed in B&B at Portree.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:01:04 pm »
Dmcfadyen
Thanks. Problem not sure when I am home all the time. But definitely on my list of roads to do. I will try my luck and attempt to make a booking. Then base my trip round that.
seadog
seadog

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:21:23 pm »
*Originally Posted by Dmcfadyen [+]
I tried to add a few photos but it keeps saying the files are too large. Never mind.
Can't you shrink them? I'm sure there is quite a large bunch of guys here who'd love to see them! If need be I volunteer to help you with that!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:23:27 pm by Verdun95 »
An old biker must be a good rider

tweedy-bunch