Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dead Battery  (Read 3599 times)

Offline cokeinator

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Union, ky
Dead Battery
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:45:01 pm »
I picked up my Trophy last Tuesday and have put 260mi on it. Last rode it 2days ago and all was great. Sunday morning I go out to start it up and nothing, dead. I took the battery out and put it on a charger and it won"t take a charge? Any ideas. My last ride was on the interstate with nothing on, no radio, heated grips nothing to put any extra load on the battery!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Dead Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:40:17 pm »
There are a number of threads on the go from people who seem to have had similar problems to yourself. I would search for the word battery and read through them.... there appear to be several theories from faulty batteries.... failed alternators.... loose terminals....even damaged audio units ....

Contact your dealer and get them to check the charging system
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline KenSmith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Corbin, Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:19:37 am »
Welcome to the club.

Which dealer did you get the bike from?
Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere - Coming Soon
2013 Triumph Trophy SE - Going Soon
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:46:02 am »
*Originally Posted by cokeinator [+]
I picked up my Trophy last Tuesday and have put 260mi on it. Last rode it 2days ago and all was great. Sunday morning I go out to start it up and nothing, dead. I took the battery out and put it on a charger and it won"t take a charge? Any ideas. My last ride was on the interstate with nothing on, no radio, heated grips nothing to put any extra load on the battery!
What are you using for a charger?

First, try a high current car charger (6 or 8 amps) for no more than around five to ten minutes. Then see if it will charge with your normal charger.  If that doesn't do it, you will need to zap the battery with a higher voltage for a few seconds. IAC, to discharge a battery that much is very bad for the battery's life. Try to get it charged up soon.  The longer it stays in that very discharged state, the worse it is for the battery's life.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cokeinator

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Union, ky
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 04:08:44 am »
Bought the bike from Triumph of Cincinnati. I put a car charger on it, 2amp setting for a while and that worked. It started so I put 83mi on it. Hopefully tomorrow it starts and this will be history :033:

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »
*Originally Posted by cokeinator [+]
Bought the bike from Triumph of Cincinnati. I put a car charger on it, 2amp setting for a while and that worked. It started so I put 83mi on it. Hopefully tomorrow it starts and this will be history :033:

Could be, but mechanical things don't normally heal themselves.  Some owners got relieve with a new battery, others seemed to have a mystery battery drain when the key is off.

Offline rider6661

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy
  • City / Town: rio vista
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:31 pm »
same problem ...mechnic pulled the fuse to the audio module replaced battery.... no problem with battery but no sat ,fm,am bluetooth or usb.   best of luck getting triumph usa to fix the problem

Offline Cide1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fishers
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:18 pm »
My battery was replaced under warranty, and in searching here I think you will find several others who had the same issue.  Be aware, though, that it takes a while to get a new battery, because Triumph requires that you take bike in, then they authorize diagnosis, then you wait for that to happen, then the dealer reports bad battery, Triumph authorizes a new one, but wont let the dealer put just any battery in.  You have to wait for Triumph to ship a specific battery to the dealer, wait for the dealer to install it, and then wait for them to notify you that it is done.  It took 2 weeks in the shop for mine to be replaced.  Pretty ridiculous.