Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Transmission  (Read 10651 times)

Offline Oil change

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2014
  • City / Town: Ocala, Florida
Transmission
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:54:51 am »
Hi to all. Anyone else have sticky or ratchety shifting. My 2014 is a far cry from smooth shifting. Have 1,700 miles use a synthetic blend 10-40 oil. Shifting seems to get worse instead of better with mileage .

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:46:22 am »
No trouble with shifting, smoothest gearbox I have used. I have 13,000kms on mine. Bike has full synthetic 15W-50 oil.  After years of riding an ST1100 I found I had to change my habits as no need for preloading the gear lever, or strong shifting pressure or near as much clutch.

Offline Lieu57

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE-Black
  • City / Town: Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:36:18 am »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
No trouble with shifting, smoothest gearbox I have used. I have 13,000kms on mine. Bike has full synthetic 15W-50 oil.  After years of riding an ST1100 I found I had to change my habits as no need for preloading the gear lever, or strong shifting pressure or near as much clutch.

Same here. No problems with my '14. Smoothest shifting bike I've ridden.
'15 TTSE
Black
"Young riders pick a destination... Old riders pick a direction..."

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:51:37 am »
After 13000 km no problems at all. Very slick and positive shift (haven't hit a false neutral ever).
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline TerryB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Valencia, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:02:40 am »
I have had the very occasional issue of sticking gears. However my 3 previous Honda bikes also suffered from this much worse. Otherwise the Trophy is a very smooth shifter. No missed shifts like on my Hondas, the Triumph always seems to find the gear with ease.

I am running Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10-40.
Motorcycle and me, Motorcycle set me free - Daniel Ash

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:31:23 am »
When I first got my bike at the 250 mile mark the shifting got clunky.  The triumph dealer tech agreed and called Triumph.  Triumph suggested changing the oil.   I was skeptical but the dealer changed the oil and the clunk went away.  10000 later it has not returned.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 07:22:00 am »
Shift quality and ease of shifting is excellent on my TT. Currently using a full synthetic 10w-40 motorcycle oil.  What I would like is some feedback on transmission gear noise.  It has been present since new (about 1100 km so far) and presents as a whine/howling sound.  It is most prevalent at or above 100 kph.  The shop foreman passed it off as normal sound made more audible because it is directed up through the fork opening in the fairing and into my hearing zone.  I admit its much louder with the screen up blocking out the wind noise.
So here's the question, does the TT transmission use straight cut gears throughout?  Is anyone experiencing excessive gear noise? Or are my expectations too high? Any remarks about the final drive unit(s) - two bevel gear boxes?
I'd be happy to hear your impressions.

Thanks,

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:35:21 am »
I don't know if the transmission/shaft drive gear whine is excessive, but it was one of the first things I noticed on the Trophy. It is very much there all the time, and sounds a lot like the old Mini gear whine. I wear ear plugs all the time, so it does not seem too much, just something to get used to.  I also initially found the engine to be more mechanical than I was used to on the ST1100, but am used to it now.  I don't mind at all the way the whole drivetrain package works in the real world.

I found putting on a slip on pipe (staintune) seems to balance out the engine/shaft noises quite nicely.

tweedy-bunch