Lower link or not by LarryJa
[Today at 09:25:42 pm]

won't start by kinghoow
[Today at 06:47:54 pm]

New in MO by magnavra
[Today at 05:32:31 pm]

Trailer Hitch need it ! by trophied
[Today at 02:54:20 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Nolan N104 flip Up  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
  • City / Town: Livingston
Nolan N104 flip Up
« on: May 08, 2014, 06:59:09 pm »
Hi, anyone got a Nolan N104. I'm in the market for a flip up after breaking mine by knocking it off my bike in the chin up position breaking the chin bar plates where the rivets go. Don't really fancy going back to Caberg and don't fancy breaking the bank for a Shoei Neotec / Shuberth either. The N104 seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Thanks, Donald

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Nolan N104 flip Up
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:36:26 pm »
I have the Nolan N104, and it is somewhat of an improvement on my N102(with N-com bluetooth system).  Before the N104 I had a Schuberth C3 that succumbed to a get-off.  The Schuberth was the most comfortable and quietest, but with no police report involved I could get no relief on the cost of replacement so I went to the N104.  To answer your question it is a high quality helmet, reasonably quiet, ok ventilation (not great!), pretty comfortable if the Nolan fit is good for your head shape, and not a bad price.  I really like the ratchet quick connect on the Nolans (and Schuberth's) but some prefer the D-ring more because the quick release sometimes is uncomfortable on some people's neck.  I use a SMH10 with Tork speakers on an earbud mount so I can use my Bose headphones if I want which is quieter and better sound than the speakers.  The speaker pockets are too small for the Tork speakers so I had to trim the foam ear pockets a little for them to fit.  If you want speakers with extra volume the Tork's are better, and you can get an amplifier that will plug into the Sena mount with a connector cord and plug the speakers into the amplifier in your pocket and get considerably more volume.  I have not done that though, and if you want more information on the helmet and the Tork equipment you can go here:  WWW.webbikeworld.com and find some good reviews on a lot of things, including in-depth helmet reviews with weights and feature assessments.  Hope this helps, sorry if I got off topic a little.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:47:19 am »
*Originally Posted by Dmcfadyen [+]
Hi, anyone got a Nolan N104. I'm in the market for a flip up after breaking mine by knocking it off my bike in the chin up position breaking the chin bar plates where the rivets go. Don't really fancy going back to Caberg and don't fancy breaking the bank for a Shoei Neotec / Shuberth either. The N104 seems to be somewhere in the middle.Thanks, Donald
I have a Nolan N-91 that I am very happy with. Fits me a lot better than the C3 and less than half the price.

BTW, I have knocked enough helmets off my bikes so I have learned for short stops to simply put it on the ground. Like it shows here (my rather new black Nolan N-91 on the ground):

That is my 1984 Yamaha Venture on the Mt. Rose Highway looking down at Lake Tahoe. Mt. Rose highway goes up to around 9,000 feet in elevation.

Below Photo taken from here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:52:50 am »
Hi Donald,

I had an N104 - Nolan have VERY recently brought out a brand new version of it
with slightly different air vent flow - mine was the previous version.

I personally found the helmet to be very comfortable, and relatively quiet.
The chin strap fastening was simple with a ratcheting bar on the end of the strap.

The control for lowering the internal sun visor was easy enough to find when being worn,
but the button to retract it took a bit of practice as it isn't as easy to feel it with gloves on.

I installed the latest N-COM B4+ Bluetooth kit into the helmet, which is designed to integrate into the helmet,
with the main module located in a pocket at the rear of the helmet,
and the simple to use Power and volume buttons fitted to the left side.
The ear pieces sit in pre-designed recesses so you don't "feel" them,
and the microphone is on a flexible arm to cater for opening and closing of the flip front.

The Bluetooth system connected with no problems at all to the Trophy  :028:

The flip front is locked into place with latches on both sides fo the helmet.
The flip up part is released "one handed" with a dual action button front centre - you press a button in,
and the lower half then protrudes - squeeze the tow together and the side latches release.
( It's actually very easy to do - just sounds complicated when trying to describe it ! ).

The helmet scored very well in the UK Government Safety Ratings SHARP Helmets
where it achieved 4 out of 5 "stars" - the same score as the Shoei Neotec and 1 better than the Schubert C3 !

I can personally attest to the strength of the flip up locking system - having gone down and smacked
the right side of the helmet quite heavily on the road, the helmet stayed intact and locked down  :028:

The only criticism I had, was that the internal sun visor didn't come down far enough for my personal taste,
and had a largish cut out around the nose area, whereas the helmet I had used before this one had a full sun visor.

There are several sizes available and different thicknesses of cheek pad that can be ordered to get a precise fit.

For the money it was the right helmet for me, and the silver colour of mine was a pretty close match to that of the Trophy !

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:59:12 am by Coconut »

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:39:13 pm »
Thanks for this lads, just need to find a stockist up here and I try one.

Cheers, Donald

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:44:57 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
I personally found the helmet to be very comfortable, and relatively quiet.The  chin strap fastening was simple with a ratcheting bar on the end of the strap.
By far, the Nolan N-91 is the best helmet I ever owned. I bought two of them, one to leave at my other home for when I ride my BMW.

I also have the N-Com units installed and they work very well on the TTSE. Much better and much louder and clearer than my Cardo  G9 Powerset (where the stupid AGC cannot be shut off--it's only loud enough when it's noisy and at any AGC setting). But I wish it would come on in the Bluetooth setting and not change each time it's turned off.  The  G9 works better only in that way.

But what impresses me the most about the N-91  is the anti-fog screen. It does not seem possible to get the thing to fog up even the slightest amount in any weather. With my old HJC, I often have to keep the face shield up a bit to clear the fog.

My only complaint is Nolan doesn't have many colors available here in the USA, so I am stuck with a boring black helmet. But like I say with motorcycles, I mainly want to use it, not look at it. Looks of such things are on the bottom of my list anyway.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
The only criticism I had, was that the internal sun visor didn't come down far enough for my personal taste,
and had a largish cut out around the nose area, whereas the helmet I had used before this one had a full sun visor.
I forgot to mention that I even like that feature. Just before I tried out the Noland N-91, I tried out a new HJC that has a sunvisor.  I almost chopped my nose off with it!  I tried out many helmets before buying the Nolan N-91, which seemed to be the perfect helmet for me.

I also like the fact that the sunvisor will stay where it is put, if I don't want it all the way down. I find all the way down is sometimes too far down. I wonder if the N-91 is a different design than the N-104 or just fits me better. I never tried on a N-104.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:39:18 pm »
I have a nolan n104 and its a vast improvement on the n103. I like it a lot and would recommend it.

tweedy-bunch