Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Avon Storm 3D XM  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Avon Storm 3D XM
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:36:13 pm »
Trophy went for interlmediate service, front tyre (OEM Pirelli Angel ST) was about to expire (12,000 kms), I was proposed to replace it by an Avon 3D XM; was told by the dealer that I would not be disappointed, he even proposed to replace it if I don't like it. So I took the plunge, so far my experience with it is quite satisfactory but I'm keen on hearing from other members who have tried it: mileage and behaviour on wet surface are  of particular interest to me. I fully concurr with Berber who once said that it is pretty much of a personal feeling but still interested in learning from others' experience. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:47:32 pm by Verdun95 »
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
Re: Avon Storm 3D XM
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:48:30 pm »
Thanks NavyDad, will keep you posted  :821:

Offline Tiger-Willi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Augsburg
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:58:32 pm »
Hi,

the German Motorrad has just tested the Avon 3D with several other tyres. At dry conditions he runs with the rest of the competitors, but on wet he is far away from the rest. Longest stop from  100 km/h (51,4m), slowest on a curvy section (60 km/h) and slowest track time (1:29,2 min). The tyre starts to slip in curves and even on straight sections very early.
First place PiRo 4, second Conti Road 2 Evo and Angel GT, fourth T30 and Roadsmart 2, Roadtec Z8 on sixth an Avon with bigger distance on the last one.
Dry conditions points between 136 to 124 points ( all very close together), on wet track 94 to 84, Avon 64 points. All tyres have different characteristics, so they don`t recommend only the best.
Datas for the best tyre PiRo4 for above datas: stop at 46,8m, speed 71,7 km/h and track time 1:13,9
Bridgestone T30 stop at 45m, speed 65,8 km/h and track 1:21,5.

Cheers,

Tiger-Willi

Offline Fast Ed15

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Northport,NY
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »
Looking for up date on anyone runing tha Avon Storm on they Trophy. Have set going on my bike and would like to hear from riders using them.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:42:45 pm »
have been riding with one, on the front, since May this year, almost 9000 kms and still very happy with it. Seems to have a very good life expectancy and handling is just perfect for me, be it on dry pavement or under wet (sometimes very wet) conditions. For me it's a keeper  :002:

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:12:34 pm »
I fitted them on my Trophy when the OEM tyres wore out 4.5k miles I have only done 2k so far but I am very impressed just as good in the wet and a lot more stable in the dry no problem scraping the footrests but the best part is the rear still looks like new!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:09:43 am by malcolm »

Offline Fast Ed15

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Northport,NY
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
 Good to hear, 7k miles on ST Angels so looking forward to new rubber on bike

Offline chiefmon

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ga
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:23 am »
Been thinking of these tires on my next change. How's the handling in the corners of Storm 3D XM?