Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: H4 bulb comparison and mounting Erica lights under mirror  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
H4 bulb comparison and mounting Erica lights under mirror
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:50:00 am »
I finally got around to putting the bike back together after wasting a fair bit of time trying out those LED bubs (see the Xenon thread)

Anyway, here are some pictures.  Excuse the junk and being in the garage, but I started work on the bike so took the before pictures in exactly the same place.

First up, standard low beam (Osram Bilux 60/55W)

Standard high beam

H4 +90 bulb low

H4 +90 high

H4 +90 high plus Ericas on. They look brighter in practice.  Is there such a thing as too much??

Erica under mirror mounts (thanks for the idea IBApete http://ibpete.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/triumph-trophy-se-auxiliary-lighting.html ) A good idea as very solid. I put nyloc nuts inside the mirror hosing as I wanted to make sure nothing comes loose over time.

To get the high bean signal to turn on the Ericas while on high beam only, I used a H4 extension harness and added a female spade connector, so it can be restored to standard.

On road testing in a week or so, as I am off for the next week (not on the bike)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:53:29 am by saaz »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: H4 bulb comparison and mounting Erica lights under mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:20:44 am »
Liking the look and beam from those "Erica's"  :169:

( Shouldn't the "junk" you refer to, really be called "Things that might come in useful one day ?  :008: )

Regards,

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:33:00 am »
The price of the Ericas is steep, but having seen them in action they exceed a far messier setup with lights all over the place. The Trophy is going to stay relatively 'stock' looking  :112:

It is all useful stuff, it just needs to be put back where it is supposed to be  :027: :138:  I am due for another session of throw everything on the floor and organise it properly  :172:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:37:28 am by saaz »

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »
A brief update as I should really be packing to fly out for a week down in Tasmania...

Just took the bike out into the dark and around the block.  Main headlight does seem that bit stronger on low, with high seeming to have a bit more penetration (I have read that the + ratings refer to more precise focusing of the light)  So the +90 bulbs might just add to the already great lights.  Just don't expect the same as putting in 130/90 H4 bulbs as they are nowhere even close to that.

The Ericas are just amazing!  There is so much light everywhere.  I will have to wait to optimise where they are pointed until I am out on a deserted road, but this should be less critical due to the wide and penetrating output.  Walking towards the bike I just could not look at the lights.

The reason I upgraded the H4s was that I knew that the Ericas might have to be turned of a bit before other lights when oncoming traffic appears, especially on those long straight roads, so high and low beam need to be as good as I can get.

Offline OzTourer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE'13
  • City / Town: Palmerston
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:34:21 pm »
Saaz,
Where'd the LEDs come from? And any reason not to go for 130 H4s? You guys have big skippys down there but the emus and camels on the way through the red centre always make me nervous. More light is better!!
OzTourer

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:23:15 am »
The 130/90 bulbs get way too hot for the plastic reflectors and headlight. Even in a glass and metal headlight they got very hot.  I used to only use the 130/90s for highway trips on my suzuki GS1000.  If something like the H460/55 +100 or +120 bulbs are not enough, a 100/55 H4 might be a safer bet, as the low beam would be the same as standard and not overheat around town.

The H4 LEDs came from http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/dual-sport-bike-lights-led.html but I would not bother. They are a real pain to try and fit, and the beam pattern is nowhere near as good as with H4s. At night you would be continually flashed by oncoming traffic as low beam has more of a high beam spread.

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 03:46:39 pm »
although they give more intensity LED light and have a problem are very directional and dazzle the oncoming driver

Offline OzTourer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE'13
  • City / Town: Palmerston
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:27 pm »
Thanks saaz. Thought that might be the case. I'm reasonably happy with the standard lights and don't intend too much night travel but it's nice to have a choice.  I'm thinking some small LED "daytime running lights" ala the BMW 1600 style to make me more visible to the motorists in addition to + type H4s. Good call. I'll see what's easiest when I get back home next month.

Cheers,
OzTourer

tweedy-bunch