Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Uneven brake pad wear  (Read 14851 times)

Offline trackball

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Galicia
Uneven brake pad wear
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:54:35 am »
look at that. That's what I found changing front wheel. I thought that brake pads were in optimal condition but upper inner ones are out of order.
Both at the same time makes me think about design issue because wear is simetrical in rigth and left caliper. I changed pads order while new ones arrive.
It's a very ugly problem for me because it's impossible to check that pad wear without removing caliper or mud guard.

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Uneven brake pad wear
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:04:31 pm »
That seems very strange - it is as though the lower pistons are not operating with as much force as the upper ones.

The linked brake system means that when the rear brake is applied,
as weight is transferred to the front of the motorcycle,
the lower right piston of the front brake is partially applied,
so if anything, you might expect the lower right pads to wear out first,
but they look the least worn.

All pads for both discs must always be replaced together  :169:

After fitting the new ones I would take the old pads to your Dealer and seek their advice,
pointing out the difference in wear - measure each pad and compare then with new ones
to see just how much they have worn.

I'm wondering if there could be some air trapped in the calipers at the lower pistons.  :084:

That would result in a lower braking force being applied to the lower pistons,
and could also explain why there is less wear than might be expected on the lower right pads
as a result of the Linked braking system operation ??

The complete system needs to be bled properly - and needs to be done either by a Triumph dealer,
or with use of a "DealerTool" to open the ABS valves, and allow the linked braking system to be bled.

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:34:40 pm »
For what it's worth, it was a known issue with my most previous bike that the inner rear pad wore more quickly than the outer pad.  A lot of us just swapped the pads back and forth every so often.

I generally tried to make the swap whenever I had the side pannier off.  The pads were easily accessable and it only took a couple of minutes.

This may or may not be relevant.

Offline trackball

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »
Thanks Coconut.
Linked brake system only works on right caliper (lower piston) so it wouldn't explain the left caliper situation.  :430:
Air on the lowest side of the caliper? air is always trying to go up not going down and in both caliper?? such a rare situation isn't it?
Dealer tested the bike one month ago and didn't feel anything wrong (gear sensor failed).
dirty inside piston? I will clean it but in both sides? at the same time in the same way? curious.
I'm thinking about design issue. It breaks less than my Speed but it's obvious that it can't brake better than Brembo radial calipers.
Anyone that has changed brake pads? I'm 22.000km and I couldn't check that pad until wheel was removed.
Something is going wrong in both calipers at the same time. That's the only thing i'm sure.

Offline trackball

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
*Originally Posted by BigD [+]
For what it's worth, it was a known issue with my most previous bike that the inner rear pad wore more quickly than the outer pad.  A lot of us just swapped the pads back and forth every so often.

I generally tried to make the swap whenever I had the side pannier off.  The pads were easily accessable and it only took a couple of minutes.

This may or may not be relevant.

That means a design issue. Which one was your bike?
waiting for someone who has changed the brake pads in order to compare.

Every comment is welcome. Thanks a lot.

Offline trackball

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:35 pm »
I park the bike usually on the side stand so air will affect the right side worse the left side which is lower  than the other one. isn't it?

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:29:14 pm »
At 16,500 miles,  my brake pads look the same.    See topic/post titled "rotate front brake pads".  FYI: I rotated the pads and no issues,  the brakes still work fantastic.   I think this is a design flaw.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:07:17 pm by triucati »

Offline trackball

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:59:06 pm »
I have to buy a KTM.  :430:
no one else?

tweedy-bunch