Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Heated Grips Problem  (Read 18220 times)

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
Heated Grips Problem
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:45 am »
I had the ECU done and the engine work.  Afterwards, I checked the heated grips and the icon came on and there was some warmth.  Today, I checked them (while the bike was running) before leaving on a big trip and there no icon and no heat.  I checked the fuse and it was good.  Before I start chasing wiring wouldn't the icon still come on if there was a chafed wire for example?  There would just be no heat to the grips?  Could the ECU lose the grip setting for some reason?  I have read that even with no icon if the grips are installed they would heat up although the icon would not appear on the dash.  Is there a different fuse to check? I looked at the installation instructions and there is mention of fuse 4 on the "right" fuse box.  I believe the manual refers to fuse 1 as the proper fuse for the heated grips.  That one was fine.
Anything I can check?  I'm leaving in a few days and wont have time to leave the bike at the dealer.  If they don't work then they don't work.  I'm gone either way!!!!!

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Heated Grips Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:24:44 am »
*Originally Posted by Trophy Bike [+]
I had the ECU done and the engine work.  Afterwards, I checked the heated grips and the icon came on and there was some warmth.  Today, I checked them (while the bike was running) before leaving on a big trip and there no icon and no heat.  I checked the fuse and it was good.  Before I start chasing wiring wouldn't the icon still come on if there was a chafed wire for example?  There would just be no heat to the grips?  Could the ECU lose the grip setting for some reason?  I have read that even with no icon if the grips are installed they would heat up although the icon would not appear on the dash.  Is there a different fuse to check? I looked at the installation instructions and there is mention of fuse 4 on the "right" fuse box.  I believe the manual refers to fuse 1 as the proper fuse for the heated grips.  That one was fine.
Anything I can check?  I'm leaving in a few days and wont have time to leave the bike at the dealer.  If they don't work then they don't work.  I'm gone either way!!!!!
Besides the fuse, there is a "heated accessory relay" as well as the switch and wires that you can check.

The relay is on the left side, the relay closest to the rear of the bike in  a group of two relays. IOW, behind the starter relay.   As shown on page 18.15 of the TTSE Service Manual.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline TerryB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Valencia, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:02 am »
Hello. One thing to check are the connectors under the left side storage. Here you will find the 2 cables for the grips (Blue/Orange), as well as a connector with a small loopback wire (Black). If that loopback connector is missing, loose, or the wire is damaged the heated grips will not work.

Motorcycle and me, Motorcycle set me free - Daniel Ash

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
thanks guys.  I pulled the glove box this morning and can see those wires so later today I think I will run the bike and put a multi meter probe in the leads and see if power is getting there.  Does that sound like a logical start?

Still does not explain why the heated grip Icon was there and now gone.

Next, that relay is sounding real good.  Don.  How do I check if it is working or not?  If it is not is this a relay that I can buy at an automotive shop or is it Triumph specific and I'll have to head to the dealer (if they have one!)
Would anything else not be working if that relay is shot?  If so, I might be able to diagnose a systemic problem involving the relay by looking for other things that are no longer working!   (If you could post that page of the service manual I would appreciate it.)
Thanks for the advice.

Offline TerryB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 05:46:25 am »
Hello. Here are a few more items to check if you haven't already.

1. Fuse #4 on front left fuse block. It is labeled 20A 12V. This is the main fuse for all the accessories on the bike, including the grips. The grips also have another fuse futher down the circuit which is #1 10A with the grip icon that you already tested. Both fuses must be good in order for the grips to work.

2. Accessory relay test #1. There is a relay that turns on all accessories. Normally this relay only turns on when the bike is running. If you happen to have access to DealerTool, you can run a test mode to turn this relay on and off. You should hear the relay clicking on and off.

3. Accessory relay test #2. If you do not hear the relay or you don't have access to DealerTool, then you can check the relay manually. The accessory relay is on the left side, farthest to the rear of the bike. It is right across from the rear fuse block near the label "OPEN". You can just pull out the relay, there is no latch to worry about. When you pull the relay you will see 4 pins.

a. There are 2 pins that have a "missing" pin between them. This is the coil of the relay. You should read 100 Ohms across these 2 pins using a voltmeter. If you read 0 ohms or no ohms then the relay is shot. If you read 100 ohms, then you can test the relay by hooking up these 2 pins to a 12VDC source, such as a car battery charger or battery. Polarity does not matter. You should hear the relay click.

b. The other 2 pins are the load pins. Normally should read no ohms between these pins (or no buzz using a connectivity tester). If you test the relay with a 12 VDC source and you hear the relay click, these pins should then read 0 ohms (or buzz using a connectivity tester).

I hope this helps some.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:34:02 am »
*Originally Posted by Trophy Bike [+]
Next, that relay is sounding real good.  Don.  How do I check if it is working or not?  If it is not is this a relay that I can buy at an automotive shop or is it Triumph specific and I'll have to head to the dealer (if they have one!)
Would anything else not be working if that relay is shot?  If so, I might be able to diagnose a systemic problem involving the relay by looking for other things that are no longer working!   (If you could post that page of the service manual I would appreciate it.)Thanks for the advice.
Sorry, but I am now 230 miles away from my TTSE service manual and my TTSE and I will probably be here for a week or more.

I doubt if Triumph makes relays. More than likely they buy them from somebody else and perhaps color them differently and put their part number on it and such.

However, I doubt if you have a bad relay, unless it works once in a while, and then you might be able to open up the relay case and clean the contacts. It's just a good place to start, to see if the relay clicks when the grips are turned on while the engine is running.

I recall the Service Manual called this relay a "heated accessory" relay. I ain't sure if that means it also controls the seat, but I am not sure how they control both from the same relay. The service manual for this stuff is not as detailed as I would like. But do you also have the heated seats?

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:36:35 pm »
thanks everyone.  I was thinking the same thing Don about listening for the click. 
Wiring looks ok but I did not pull the grips off.
Looks like I can hold trying to diagnose although I want to know as much about the bike as possible and have learned a lot from you all.  The dealer indicated I can bring the bike in early tomorrow and he will get it on the scan tool and see what is up.  If it is a relay then it should be a ten minute fix.  If not, I might be moving on with out the grips as I have a trip I'm leaving on Tuesday early morning for a week!
I'll let you know what they find. 

Offline TerryB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 06:50:27 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]

However, I doubt if you have a bad relay, unless it works once in a while, and then you might be able to open up the relay case and clean the contacts. It's just a good place to start, to see if the relay clicks when the grips are turned on while the engine is running.

I recall the Service Manual called this relay a "heated accessory" relay. I ain't sure if that means it also controls the seat, but I am not sure how they control both from the same relay. The service manual for this stuff is not as detailed as I would like. But do you also have the heated seats?

-Don-  SSF, CA

Hi Don. Just FYI, there is no heated accessory relay. There is just the accessory relay. If you look at the block diagram when you have access to your manual again you will see that the 20A 12V fuse feeds the accessory relay and one of the accessory sockets. From this relay, it then feeds 2 10A fuses. One 10A feeds the heated grips and seats. The other 10A feeds to other 2 accessory sockets.

There is no relay that is being activated when you turn the grip switch on and off, it is simply completing 1 of 2 circuits (low or hi).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:04:50 pm by TerryB »