Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Braking System  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Tiger-Willi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Augsburg
Braking System
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »
Hello,

I have found Carbone Lorraine brake pads for the Triumph Trophy at www.spieglerusa.com, its the number CL1175 and type XBK5. Searching for use of these pads I found out that the other use is for Yamaha FJR 1300 A/AS with ABS. Yamaha has got the same combined braking system than the Trophy has got, I think that it is a Nissin system.
If you look at the following link (http://www.winni-scheibe.com/ta_praxis/yabs.htm) there is a drawing of the calipers from Yamaha.

Cheers,

Tiger-Willi

Offline Tiger-Willi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
Re: Braking System
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 05:44:16 AM »
For Yamaha front calipers there are offers for brake pads from:

EBC                 44,7 x 53,5 x 8,45 mm
Lucas TRW      44,5 x 53,4 x 8,6 mm
Carb. Lorraine 44,8 x 53,6 x 8,7 mm (same as for Triumph Trophy)

On my test ride last weekend I found the brakes ok, but without any bite. On my Tiger I have mounted calipers from Beringer and was very satisfied with them. When my Trophy will arrive I will change the pads asap and hope that the brake grip will be a little more aggressive  :164:

For Europe there has no supplier a legal offer for these at the moment, hope this will change soon.

Origin assembled at rear:

Nissin TT2450GG (used on mostly Triumph models)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:07:25 AM by Tiger-Willi »

Ndo

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »
Tiger,
I find hat my TT braks do not grip as well as the RT nor the Concour. Please let me knoww if changing your pad improve and what brand and place you get them...thanks

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »
Guys, I can tell you that the Trophy brakes, and ABS, work brilliantly and I'm able to post this thanks to them. I had an emergency stop from 70mph last week when a woman decided to do a u-turn in front of me without warning - or checking her mirrors. The Trophy chirpred to a stop in a matter of yards and well short of disaster. I'm not changing a thing.
Caoimhín

Ndo

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »
 :062: :821: :047:

Good deal!

Offline Tiger-Willi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
Hi Ndo,

I've bought Carbone Lorraine like for all my bikes before (TDM, CX500C, Tiger 709EN). Not really cheap for that you need 4 sets for the front calipers at all. First few kilometers show more grip but no aggressive bite. No metallic noise from the sintered bronce pads as it seems for me that the origin are semi-organic.

Rear pads are thicker as the Nissin have noise reduction plates and on one side a ceramic plate mounted. Rear caliper is same as Triumph America, Speedmaster, Scrambler, Speed Triple, Thruxton, Tiger 900, Trident, Daytona, Tiger Explorer and so on...

@ Caoimhín: I think more than 90% of Triumph Tiger owner are lucky with their brakes as they are. But if you try a better one you would never switch back. Many owners put on their Tiger semi off-road tyres and have a lack of braking power. Motorrad made a test a few years before on a BMW GS 1200 with Metzeler Tourance (43 meters), Conti TKC (54 meters  :005: ) and  Bridgestone BT020 (38 meters). 5 meters is a long way and mean something around 30 km/h, but have a look at the tyres that are mounted on all these bikes that never get away from tarmac  :112: 
So why not try to get a good thing even better :187:

Cheers,

Wiglef

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »
I think you guys must be more perceptive than I.  I have found the Trophy braking system to be the best on any bike I've ridden. When I first got it there was air in the rear brake line but two bleeding  later the brakes are superb
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:43:55 PM by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
Linked braking will take some time to get used to. At times I like to carry speed into a corner, drop in late, and use some trailing rear brake. The TSE's rear brake does very little by itself.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:56:10 PM by GPL95928 »

tweedy-bunch