Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: backfiring after carb clean.  (Read 2730 times)

Offline leem

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: tropty1200 no 262
  • City / Town: West Kirby
backfiring after carb clean.
« on: May 17, 2014, 02:18:14 pm »
Hi all.
Got a problem with my 91 trophy1200.
Stripped n cleaned carbs new orings gaskets needles jets nd re done floats now blighter wont start. Getting big backfire and ehaust ignitions. Seems to be cylinder 4
Any ideas chaps?
Its driving me potty.

Offline leem

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
Re: backfiring after carb clean.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:21:12 pm »
Just to add was running okish prior to clean. Only 20k on clock. Laid up for 4yrs before I got her. Needed oil change n plugs snd fork seals to get her motd and running.  :148:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »
Hi Leem and  :400: to the Forum !

This Forum is dedicated to the "new" Trophy model ( from 2012 onwards ), although everyone is welcome here,  and discussions on Triumph Models  other than the "new" Trophy  can ( and should - to avoid confusion ) be held in this Section :
"On Two Wheels - Bikers Chat"

There is also another Forum dedicated to the previous Trophy Model,
where you may find the answers you need here : Triumph Trophy 3 & 4 forum  :028:

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:26:22 pm »
I think you might be in the wrong place Sir  :164:

But since you're here and having problems with the Mikuni carb'd (91) 1200, I have some experience from my 90's Tigers, may I suggest the following:-

Did you actually clean the idle jets, I mean poke a bit of wire through so that you can see daylight, if not I will put money on that, particularly if it stutters and hesitates when opening the throttle.
I think you have a serious air leak, probably in the rubbers between the head and the carb's. If it's been lying for 4 yrs then they are very likely to be dried out and brittle, you may well have opened up a crack while removing and reinstalling them. Those T400 spine frames are a bugger when it comes to working with the carb's.
Make sure the rubbers between the carb's and the airbox and all the airbox connections are good, if it doesn't have a complete and integral airbox it will run like a bag of spanners.
Check your coils, if they are still the original "Gill" make one could have failed even though the impedance meters out OK, check with a loose plug against the block. If you have to change them get a "PVL" replacement.

For any bits for carb's try Steve at Motocarb in Liverpool, for most other bits speak to Trevor at Sprint Engineering. When you have time have a look at the Triumph Torque Forum for a bit more specific help.

Offline leem

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »
Thanks.
Il check out other forum lol.
Thanks for the advice too il have a looksee tomorrow.