where to look: TTSE, Zumo XT or BT headset ? by Coconut
[Today at 06:59:28 am]

No Brake Pressure After Tire Change by Coconut
[Today at 06:51:55 am]

Over heating by Coconut
[Today at 06:42:01 am]

Headlight Bulb Dust Cover Dimensions by STJIM
[Today at 02:33:14 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: High quality self-adhesive transparent film  (Read 3803 times)

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Wickham
High quality self-adhesive transparent film
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:50:52 pm »
Having read a number of chats regard hungers, rear mud guard extensions. I'm thinking about protecting the back of my panniers from dirt and debris by cutting out a section of high quality self-adhesive transparent film. Its not that expenses on eBay. Some of you may have used it to covering text books and other objects during your school days.

My thinking for using a protect self adhesive film. It should help protect the back of the panniers from stones and other road debris fly up and held with cleaning.

Has anyone done this type of modification or used the self adhesive film.

Would it stick and adhere to the back of the panniers? It seems to be cheaper than using 3M protective film in this area. Before anyone asks I wouldn't use it on any external areas. That's why I'm buying the full kit from Tony James.

I would like your comments.

Thanks
GJ-Trophy :084:
1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
Re: High quality self-adhesive transparent film
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:40:04 pm »
If you're going to the trouble of getting the full kit from Tony James (196 quid +VAT quoted and 3+ hours for his guys to do the job) I would just ask him to cut some strips to your dimensions, after all he'll be cutting your kit to order. Adding in a couple more sections is not going to be a great drama, and it'll be coming in the same package saving you a bit of postage. 2p's worth  :084:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:43:41 pm by sin_tiger »

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:05:20 pm »
The full kit I will fit as I have with all my bikes. But I'm not sure the product Tony James supplies will stick to the back side of the panniers very well. But if anyone has please let me know.

Thanks for the tip will defiantly ask him for a price. Just need to be sure it will stick as good as the self-adhesive film.

As you are aware the kit is a lot cheaper @ £120.

GJ-Trophy  :018:

1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:35:01 pm »
*Originally Posted by GJ-Trophy [+]

As you are aware the kit is a lot cheaper @ £120.

It's pretty sticky stuff and conformable, I've seen it applied to some textured surfaces, not sure how well it lasted though, I'm sure Tony will give reliable advice in anycase.

I don't trust myself with sticky stuff (we don't have any wallpaper in the house) and £120 is a lot of money if you end up with it wrapped round your head  :138: so personally I'd rather pay them to do it.

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »
Well my M3 protective kit arrived from Tony-James Designers this morning. Just need to set a time this weekend to apply the section to the bike.

Lesson learnt from previous installation take your time and don’t rush it.

I will take a few photos to post on the forum gallery.

GJ-Trophy   :001:

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:41:32 am »
Update on fitting the 3M Ventureshield protective kit. Right side of the bike completed yesterday before i made the decision to stop. I will finish off the bike today.

Some tips make sure you wash your hands 1st and spray them with the solution before touching the film. The bottle supplied is not that good and I would recommend that you use a house hold spray bottle with a solution of warm soapy water. The label on the supplied bottle started to peel and found small partials of paper transferring onto the film.

I also notice that I had a few finger prints on the front fender/ mud guard but nothing I can't live with. The side tank protector was a lot easier to install.

So to clarify, clean the area to remove any polish or grease from the surface and spray on the soapy solution. Spray your finders and the outer side of the film. Lift the film from the role and make sure you spray the back surface as you lift it off the role.

Tip: you can't use to much solution so make sure you soak the area and back of the film.

Position the film onto the area already sprayed on the bike and slide/move into position. Try not to lift the film as this is when finger prints occurs. Gently stretch out to position if needed. Once happy with the position use the rubber block supplied using forward and backward movements to remove the soapy water solution. You shouldn't need much pressure working from a centre point working out wards. Ensuring you seal any edges. Wipe dry with a clean micro type cloth.

Finally I used the wife's hair dryer to finish off.

I've took some photos but these don't show the film installed. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad.

Anyone thinking of DIY I hope this helps. Wasn't prepared to pay my local 3M installer £150 to install.

GJ-Trophy :001:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:02:59 pm by GJ-Trophy »

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:13:27 pm »
Just got mine back from Revolutions in Perth who are the only approved 3M Ventureshield supplier and installer.

Dropped the bike off after a wet ride North and still covered in midge mash the day before and went back the next day, lovely job and excellent people to deal with. They don't do many bikes but they managed to get the pattern set from the main source, apparently there is only one authorised cutting centre in the UK so everyone gets it from them, probably even Triumph though I couldn't confirm that.

They wouldn't do it happily unless I left it overnight to ensure it didn't need any followup. £195 all in  :046:

Highly recommended  :169:

tweedy-bunch