Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Slipping out of 2nd gear?  (Read 27610 times)

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
OK, so I took it apart and it appears one fork on the output shaft is slightly bent.  I'm not sure on the dog if it is at it's service life and if I'm going to take it out I'm just going to replace it.  So it looks like selector shaft and associated components, dog and two forks.  Input shaft looks great.  Gears look fantastic, no wear or damage

My one fork is just slightly bent as in just barely.  Bummer to drop $500 on parts but hey, the labor was free   :001:    I wonder how long to get parts.

Offline Jonesin

• Trophy Member
  • Canadian Biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fort McMurray
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »
Take a close look specifically at gears #2 and 6. They are the ones that get most affected by this from what I've read.

I don't mean the teeth, I mean the middle where they fit on the selector.
1984 Honda Shadow 500, bought it in boxes, tinkered with her for 2 years from age 14-16
2002 Suzuki
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2020, 08:26:16 PM »
I see what you mean.  I have attached a picture and it appears that the engagement pins that tie 2 and 6 together in 2nd gear are worn on the edges.  I think 6 for sure needs a replacement and if I'm doing it then it makes sense to do 2 as well.  I have attached a picture that I have cropped.

Offline Jonesin

• Trophy Member
  • Canadian Biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
Let me see if I can find the full list of parts for everything that can be wrong with this issue.
1984 Honda Shadow 500, bought it in boxes, tinkered with her for 2 years from age 14-16
2002 Suzuki
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Jonesin

• Trophy Member
  • Canadian Biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2020, 08:33:01 PM »
Gear change shaft assembly T1194444
Pivot plate.                          T1191200
Detent spring.                      T1195432
Detent arm.                          T1192122
Circlip.                                  T3502535
Cover gasket.                  T1181296

From page 7 of this thread.
2002 Suzuki
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2020, 08:42:18 PM »
Thank you.  Yes, those parts of potentially part of the issue if it revolves around the shifter mechanism.  My detent wheel is in great condition and I really don't think it is the shift dog or forks now that I see that 6th gear.  I would hate to not spend the time/money to fix that as you can easily see the wear on the engagement dowels (i don't know the correct term) where 6 and 2 come together; the dowels are now rounded.

I hate to spend an extra few hundred bucks but I really don't want to take this apart again because I went the cheap way.  That said, it doesn't look like there is anything catastrophically going on.  I could just change 6 and 2 and the one fork....  The selector is easy to change later.

I'm stewing on it.  I'll see what restocking policy is and maybe order the batch while I stew.  I'm right at $1000 if I do it all.

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2020, 02:52:15 PM »
Good morning all.  Had a weekend of reassembly - started on Friday.  I had to delay my rebuild when I broke the detent arm assembly and had to order a couple more parts.  First off, here is what I replaced and I can provide a complete parts list if anyone is interested.

All the springs and clips on the gear change shaft
Gear change detent arm and detent wheel
2nd gear
6th gear
shift fork
Associated consumables and gaskets

Got it back together on Saturday and other than getting the oil pump drive sprocket and transmission shaft done right really no issues with reassembly.

This this is stiff.  I so don't remember what it shifted like when new but it appears that the gears and shift fork took up all the wear slack accumulated in 25k miles.  No slipping out of 2nd gear at all and a little hard to get 1-2-3; 4-5-6 are butter smooth.  N is a little hard to hit.

I really think in reassembly I have something up with the clutch like it isn't disengaging fully so N can be hard to find when at a complete stop and twice now the clutch wouldn't disengage when in 1st at a stop.  I have bled it and I'll fool with it some more but transmission wise everything is fantastic.

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2020, 10:57:29 PM »
I guess you would have mounted the friction plates, anti-vibration springs and anti-vibration seat washer well, remember that the friction plates are not the same. The innermost and outermost friction plate are different.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.