Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Slipping out of 2nd gear?  (Read 22094 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1771
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dan66 [+]
Just a couple of weeks ago experienced this on my 2014 with 25k miles.  Slipping out of second into neutral at high rpms.  I'll talk to the dealer this week but I may just order the parts listed by Vansflyer and give that a try.  Talking $200 and a couple of hours over likely $2000 with the dealer.

Anyone else been getting this fixed recently.

Out of interest, how many revs are you talking?

Offline Dan66

  • Trophy Member
  • **
  • Posts: 49
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
  • Country: USA
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »
I haven't been watching but it is high, typically when I am running through the gears, at least 6000

Online earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1771
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dan66 [+]
I haven't been watching but it is high, typically when I am running through the gears, at least 6000

Do you normally rev that high in 2nd gear then?

Not being funny but I rarely ever see the need to rev a motorcycle engine of this size/power to that extent, why/what are you trying to beat off the line??

If the other Trophy owners who are experience this gearbox problem have been riding their bike the same way, maybe that's a clue. :187:

Offline Dan66

  • Trophy Member
  • **
  • Posts: 49
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
  • Country: USA
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2019, 08:41:52 PM »
Good questions but to some degree how I ride I don't think is the issue.  Multiple people have reported the issue when revving past 5500.  I run 4000 rpm at 80 in 6th gear so I don't think running higher RPM's is the problem and if it was then Triumph should have lowered the redline.  When I am on the twisties in Arkansas I am frequently in 2/3/4 at 4-5000 rpm to stay in the power.  We also know that the problem gets worse to the point the bike won't stay in 2nd gear, don't want to get there.

Now, that said, two of the instances were running up a freeway on-ramp where I was going from 2nd gear and merging at 75+ mph.  2nd provides good acceleration.

The slipping out of second gear issue is widely reported on a bunch of Triumph forums so this is not specific to the trophy and certainly no-one is racing a 1050 Tiger.

Online earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1771
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2019, 10:03:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dan66 [+]
Good questions but to some degree how I ride I don't think is the issue.  Multiple people have reported the issue when revving past 5500.  I run 4000 rpm at 80 in 6th gear so I don't think running higher RPM's is the problem and if it was then Triumph should have lowered the redline.  When I am on the twisties in Arkansas I am frequently in 2/3/4 at 4-5000 rpm to stay in the power.  We also know that the problem gets worse to the point the bike won't stay in 2nd gear, don't want to get there.

Now, that said, two of the instances were running up a freeway on-ramp where I was going from 2nd gear and merging at 75+ mph.  2nd provides good acceleration.

The slipping out of second gear issue is widely reported on a bunch of Triumph forums so this is not specific to the trophy and certainly no-one is racing a 1050 Tiger.

How can you be so sure that no one is racing a 1050 Tiger? I would have said the same about a Trophy owner but compared to me, I'd say that you are. :001:

I've always had 'mechanical sympathy' in the front of my mind when it comes to running any vehicle really, I'm probably in the minority I know,.......it would be nice to hear from others though, have you suffered this gearbox problem despite taking it easy?? :002:

Offline HACKLE

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 708
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
  • Country: Australia
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2019, 10:44:28 PM »
Earthman, I'm with you on the sympathy side of things. No I haven't, and don't want to, have the slipping out of 2nd. gear issue. But I definitely see "NO" reason to rev the engine that hard. The Trophy has more than enough power whilst changing up using the torque curve. Cheers.  :028: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Dan66

  • Trophy Member
  • **
  • Posts: 49
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
  • Country: USA
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 12:42:12 AM »
Can we get back on topic instead of you deriding my style of riding.

Online earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1771
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dan66 [+]
Can we get back on topic instead of you deriding my style of riding.

Sorry but it could be an important factor here,...does this problem only occur on bikes that have been hammered shall we say.

 



tweedy-bunch