Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Slipping out of 2nd gear?  (Read 29321 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Slipping out of 2nd gear?
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dan66 [+]
I haven't been watching but it is high, typically when I am running through the gears, at least 6000

Do you normally rev that high in 2nd gear then?

Not being funny but I rarely ever see the need to rev a motorcycle engine of this size/power to that extent, why/what are you trying to beat off the line??

If the other Trophy owners who are experience this gearbox problem have been riding their bike the same way, maybe that's a clue. :187:

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2019, 08:41:52 PM »
Good questions but to some degree how I ride I don't think is the issue.  Multiple people have reported the issue when revving past 5500.  I run 4000 rpm at 80 in 6th gear so I don't think running higher RPM's is the problem and if it was then Triumph should have lowered the redline.  When I am on the twisties in Arkansas I am frequently in 2/3/4 at 4-5000 rpm to stay in the power.  We also know that the problem gets worse to the point the bike won't stay in 2nd gear, don't want to get there.

Now, that said, two of the instances were running up a freeway on-ramp where I was going from 2nd gear and merging at 75+ mph.  2nd provides good acceleration.

The slipping out of second gear issue is widely reported on a bunch of Triumph forums so this is not specific to the trophy and certainly no-one is racing a 1050 Tiger.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2019, 10:03:59 PM »
Good questions but to some degree how I ride I don't think is the issue.  Multiple people have reported the issue when revving past 5500.  I run 4000 rpm at 80 in 6th gear so I don't think running higher RPM's is the problem and if it was then Triumph should have lowered the redline.  When I am on the twisties in Arkansas I am frequently in 2/3/4 at 4-5000 rpm to stay in the power.  We also know that the problem gets worse to the point the bike won't stay in 2nd gear, don't want to get there.

Now, that said, two of the instances were running up a freeway on-ramp where I was going from 2nd gear and merging at 75+ mph.  2nd provides good acceleration.

The slipping out of second gear issue is widely reported on a bunch of Triumph forums so this is not specific to the trophy and certainly no-one is racing a 1050 Tiger.

How can you be so sure that no one is racing a 1050 Tiger? I would have said the same about a Trophy owner but compared to me, I'd say that you are. :001:

I've always had 'mechanical sympathy' in the front of my mind when it comes to running any vehicle really, I'm probably in the minority I know,.......it would be nice to hear from others though, have you suffered this gearbox problem despite taking it easy?? :002:

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2019, 10:44:28 PM »
Earthman, I'm with you on the sympathy side of things. No I haven't, and don't want to, have the slipping out of 2nd. gear issue. But I definitely see "NO" reason to rev the engine that hard. The Trophy has more than enough power whilst changing up using the torque curve. Cheers.  :028: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2019, 12:42:12 AM »
Can we get back on topic instead of you deriding my style of riding.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
Can we get back on topic instead of you deriding my style of riding.

Sorry but it could be an important factor here,...does this problem only occur on bikes that have been hammered shall we say.

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
My bike has slipped out of 2nd about 4-5 times over this last year that I've owned the bike. It happens at 5-7k rpm at 3/4, or better, throttle.
So, if I'm in a "hurry" I "short shift" through 2nd, so it holds.
Eventually, I will tear it down & repair.
So, this thread is guiding me on what the correct, but not overkill, repair pieces are, & how complex the disassembly & reassembly is.
What I'm seeing is that the root causes & true repairs are being refined as more of us experience this issue.
So, I'll "stay tuned", for now..
(but, eventually, I'll be wrenching this away)
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2019, 11:09:59 PM »
I see that nobody has mentioned anything about it, gearbox of 2012, there is an axis that goes inside a bearing, with the ambient temperature, plus the temperature produced in the gearbox, there is an expansion of the aluminum and the result It is as follows: Said bearing moves a few millimeters from its housing, moving the entire primary axis, which means that the sprockets do not reach the end of their travel, and the forks can even be bent due to the effort caused. For the bearing that I mention, the manufacturer added a very small sheet and is fastened by a screw. When this happens or begins to happen, if I remember correctly, the pinion of the sixth gear rubs on that spire and leaves its mark marked.

I see that there are several that have happened to you this are from the United States. I don't know if something will have to do with the temperature they have there.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

tweedy-bunch