Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: More air in the cockpit.  (Read 9694 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
More air in the cockpit.
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:36:40 am »
Was looking around on my bike trying to get to know every little intricacies when I got to thinking about what people were talking about getting more air when the windshield is up and it's hot outside. Has anyone thought about taking out the small pan under the triple tree? Seems like it is designed to keep air from coming up the fork area into the cockpit. Just a thought. :164:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: More air in the cockpit.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:48:35 am »
May get more air, but more engine noise will also be a result.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:10:37 pm »
Well normally I would agree with you on that one, but the plate is actually lower than the top of the cylinder and that's where most of my noise comes from. I may try to take it off this week and see since it's only 2 little bolts. I think if anything it might let the engine get a little hotter since it looks like it is made to deflect air down towards the radiator.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:39:09 pm »
That plate holds the ambient air temperature sensor I think you will find which is then linked to the engine management system.

Removing the plate entirely will mean trying to mount that in such a way which might cause problems with the ECU.

How about cutting two large holes in the plat instead? It will still mount the sensor in the right place and when you don't need the extra air flow you could easily put some baffles back in place..
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:09:40 pm »
Not that plastic plate Cropbiker, the metal plate mounted to the triple tree. It is mounted right in the middle of the forks further back. The one circled in red in the picture below.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:09:29 pm by atvtinker »
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Darby Grey

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Olympia
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 03:02:47 am »
I decided to try removing the plastic shield with the ambient temperature sensor. Replaced it with a cross brace made from a plexiglass scrap that tied everything together and held the sensor. Tied light weight (nylon twine) and heavy (leather laces) both in front of and behind the triple tree at the top.

Results: my unscientific wind detectors showed no significant difference in airflow. The temperature sensor showed no effects either. There was virtually no detectable air movement in either configuration at speeds below 40-45 mph.

If you don't go when you wanta go, when you do go you'll find you've gone.

Burt Munro

Offline Original Scourge

• Trophy Member
  • My first and middle name is Bruce Wayne. Yep!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:49:51 am »
Darby, I must say that it's refreshing to see someone also post that their engineering experiment failed to produce the desired outcome.  Far too many people have egos that are entirely too fragile to own up to a small defeat.  Thanks for taking a shot at the airflow problem.  Now I know what does NOT work.  Bravo, Sir, bravo! :028:
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Triumph Bonneville SE
2004 Harley-Davidson Low Rider
Past Bikes  -  1980 Honda Cb750c & a 1970 BSA Lightning.      I'm a lucky man!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:06:31 pm »
I wonder if someone couldn't come up with some wind wings on the lower windshield area that could be moved for more air deflection from the hands in winter, and rotated to direct air at the torso in summer.  I'm not nearly smart enough to make it work and look right.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch