Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Experiment with Range  (Read 8274 times)

Offline rustynut01

• Trophy Member
  • Rustynut
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Oshawa
Experiment with Range
« on: May 19, 2014, 08:09:07 pm »
For those interested, I took a gallon of gas in a jerry can, put it in the side, and off I went. With the range indicator saying I had 26 kms to go, I ran out of gas. I dumped the gallon in, and 10 minutes of cranking ( about 4 or 5 seconds per try), she fired back up. I'm off to Alaska in 5 weeks, so 3 this was a "need to know". In future I wont let it get below 50kms remaining.

Offline Oceandiving954

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: Miami
Re: Experiment with Range
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:37:05 pm »
 :430:  Sounds like CPR required when running completely out...
Pacific Blue on the Atlantic :)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:58:23 pm »
*Originally Posted by Oceandiving954 [+]
:430:  Sounds like CPR required when running completely out...

All Fuel Injected units will require quite a bit of cranking to get the pressure built back up
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:07:04 am »
*Originally Posted by rustynut01 [+]
I'm off to Alaska in 5 weeks, so 3 this was a "need to know". In future I wont let it get below 50kms remaining.
Take it from a guy who has been there you do NOT want to cut it close, and 50km is way too close.  I STRONGLY suggest that you once you get north and/or west of Calgary you fill up at every opportunity.  If you are at 1/2 full and see a gas station fill up.  Not every advertised filling station or small town will necessarily have fuel.  BC and further north especially.  Also plan on having to run crap gas.  I took my Sprint to the Arctic and on several occasions had to run 85 octane.  That bike is supposed to require 93.  The Trophy only requires 87 so you should be ok. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline nitch

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Gatineau. QC
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:57:21 am »
The distance remaining calculation is a function of many factors including speed and engine warm up. When the bike is first started on a cold morning (e.g. 5C - yes I ride at that temperature) the distance remaining will be smaller than when the engine is warmed up because of the richness of the mix required dye to the cold. Also I kept a close watch on the DR during a recent ride from Winnipeg to Ottawa and the value was going down significantly faster at higher speeds as one might expect. All this to say that if you are getting close to 0, better play it safe.
Pierre Mercier
UniversitÚ d'Ottawa

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 01:38:42 am »
Hi Nitch, I see that was your first post.  You may want to consider stopping by and posting in the new member section.  You will surely get a warm welcome from a bunch of great guys.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
Just had to run mine a bit low said I had 11 miles left when I filled up It took 24.5 Lt that is 1.5Lt left so I think mine is very accurate.
Some people on here have gone 20 miles after it said no miles left so I wasn't worried but now im glad I didn't have to test it :020:

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »
When I was commuting each day, I topped up when the computer said 30-40 miles left in the tank. I never ran out of fuel.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison