Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: stability at very slow speeds, and in winds and following trucks  (Read 10176 times)

Offline shrory

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy,Bonnevill,
  • City / Town: Kelowna
i have never rode a bike, which is so unstable in winds and following trucks or road trains. on one occasion we nearly lost control, after the wind took us across two lane (video to follow) just purchased the bike a month ago and an considering selling when i return from this trip ( 9000 klms).
was quite embarrassing at times, as other cruisers, just cruised past, as we had to slow down, due to the un-stability   of the TTSE.
tire pressures are correct, ride is as right as it can be, as it does not have a setting for two up and luggage, has anyone else experienced this problem? or has any suggestions, before i take a loss and sell the bike.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Bonneville
BMW F700GS

Offline Old Hand

• Trophy Member
  • Old Hand
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Concours 14
  • City / Town: Markham
Re: stability at very slow speeds, and in winds and following trucks
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:28:29 pm »
Just a thought, but you might check the steering and swingarm bearings for play.
Riding since 1973 ....

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:01:41 pm »
Wow, sorry to hear that. It is no fun living with a motorcycle that is uncomfortable or does not instill confidence while riding. Two weeks ago I got caught in some nasty wind in northwest Ohio. This is an area of flat farmland and the wind was a steady 25 to 30 miles per hour with gust to 45 out of the west. I was heading south so I had a nasty crosswind from the right for most of the day. I was being blown around a bit, but at no time did I feel in danger or out of control. Now, I was riding solo which I am sure would make a difference and I did not have the top box installed on the bike. I am sure the top box would catch some wind on a day like that.

Full fairing bikes like the TTSE may be more susceptible to the wind that a non faired bike. I have put a bunch of miles on four such bikes. A Goldwing, a Yamaha FJ, a BMW 1150RT, and my TTSE. The BMW was the best on a windy day and the Yamaha the worst. There is a very fine line between the best and the worst and a different rider may have a different opinion. All of the four were plagued by buffeting when behind a truck or van type vehicle. Different windshields etc. never completely solved that issue. I really don't have an answer, just putting in my TTSE against the wind story.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »
That sounds nasty.... I can only assume though that there is some fault as I find the TTSE to be exceptionally stable despite the size of wind catchment area.. Quite possibly the most stable bike I have owned even in high winds and squally weather. I have even ridden it (a short distance admittedly) hands just slightly off the bars I am that confident in its stability and it didn't waver!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline rchollebon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trothy SEE
  • City / Town: Twickenham
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:26:14 pm »
I agree with Cropbiker, I have ridden all my life and the Tropthy is the most stable bike I have ever owned.  I have ridden it in extreme conditions with no problems and even hands free!

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:47:27 pm »
I never came across stability issues, but the bike has a big old cross section that catches a lot of wind, I can imagine that in the right circumstance it could get squirrelly on you. Trucks throw up a lot of disturbance, and cross winds suck (or blow) always.

These guys made things gusty
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:49:08 pm by Briang1234 »
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:07:39 pm »
Lots of other comments and suggestions already.  Let me just say that there must be something wrong with your particular Trophy.  I have owned a LOT of bikes in 40+ years of ridding and the Trophy is by far the most stable.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline PC-Rider

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atco, NJ
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:22:16 pm »
I just got back from a 1900 mile trip and used some interstates.
When I got close enough to any vehicle pushing wind I just pass them to get away from the disturbance.
I never felt out of control.
Following trucks is no fun on any bike. 

When I tried putting the windscreen all the way up the buffeting seemed worse, so I brought it back down just above half way.

tweedy-bunch