Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dealer pricing  (Read 3087 times)

Offline madmechanic

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: blackpool
Dealer pricing
« on: May 24, 2014, 04:30:27 pm »
Just booked my trophy in for 10,000 mile service with bill smith in Chester who were very polite and gave me a price quote (£220 all in )and a copy of the Triumph service schedule of what will be done. :028:
 Last week I went to one of the shops of the  Dealer where I purchased the bike from ,  but for the same service was quoted £359 , I questioned the price as I had previously been quoted £295 by them but was told quite abruptly it was £359 take it or leave it ,I provisionally booked it in with them as there is a problem that should be covered by warranty so they were going to look at that this weekend and if the work needed doing would do it with the service ,
  I was still  unsure of the £359 quote off them so rang three other dealers and got quotes between £220 and £270 so raises the question why such a difference in price for the same service and work on the same bike from Triumph dealers. :084: :084:
  After calling in at the dealer where I bought the bike to cancel with them I  was told that You cannot do a 10,000 mile service for £220 and to check that they have replaced the parts they say they have as it cannot be done.(they did say that I was not the first person to cancel)
  I  can only say that I was disgusted by the way I was spoke to and the attitude of the service manager and will not be returning to that dealer any time soon , if ever . :233:
  Before getting service work done or any repairs it may be worth ringing around or have did I just  buy mine from the worst dealer in the country  :084: :187:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Dealer pricing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 04:53:09 pm »
In France there is a tariff for all regular maintenance operations:
http://www.triumphadonf.com/v3/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Poster-Forfaits-R%C3%A9vision.jpg. For the 16000 kms (10000 miles) service it's €299 which is not far off from the £220 you have been quoted
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline coneye

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:53:50 am »
 If it was me , First thing i would do is CANCEL the service and have them do the warranty work , stuff em they want to gouge you , just refuse to allow it .

Then i would pick out the  garage i wanted to do my service , book it in , and do what i always do ,  wether its my car or my bike , and that is  mark  the oil filter and  other things to see if they have  changed them .  You will be suprised the amount i've caught out all red faced like , when i've shone the torch on the oil filter, seen the invisible magic mark ,  and calmy  looked at them and said , you hav'nt changed this filter mate , you have cleaned the outside but you aint changed it .

Some , ok lots may say i'm a untrustworthy bastard , but after paying out each year for 2 bikes a boat ,  my car the wifes car and 2 work vechilles  i always seem to be spending on services ,  and  its getting harder and harder to find a trustworthy mechanic ,

I've had main dealers charge me a fortune , and then not do the job ,, in fact  the last service on my car , included a valve check . it was $1200 quoted ,  but they found a way to charge me $1450 . . But has i always do , i let some air out of the tyres ,  and  noted the pressures , i used a  magic marker to  mark and line up bolts , upon  picking the car up , first thing i did was check the tyres , , check the  windscrfeen washer , and have the wife check the back bralke light  where i knew the bulb was out , Not one of these things were touched , .

Then the real big one , , the bolts  when i  put the  torch on from the magic marker , HAD NOT BEEN TOUCHED ,  they were all excatly the same .

What was there answer ,  the apprentice , forgot to do the tyres , and  fill up the windscreen washer , ,checking brake lights was not part of a major service,  and the mechanic  was so good he did'nt have to physicly check the valves , he could tell by ear ,  even though they were charging for gaskets ,

End result i told them to get facked ,   they could take me to court or i can go  to  ,  fair trading , I wrote them a chueque for 100 dollars to cover the oil ,  and that was all they were getting .

Tell you mate you have to check ,  theres a lot more shonks out there than good guys .  Even the main ones , i bought 5 bikes over the years of one dealer , , plus thousands  on accesories and  services,   I took my bonny to  them to put the  new exhaust on , I got charged $95 dollars  EXTRA to put in  a differnt tunes , 10 miuites work ,  picking it up i asked the service manager , you absolutly sure he put tune A in because i don't want tune b ,, Positvie he said , what do you think we charged the extra for he said .

After nursing the bike home, running rough has guts and popping and farting and backfiring , i took it back , the service manager i dealt with was out so i spoke to the mechanic who done the job ,  Oh its sucking air said the mechanic ,   we forgot to  put   that putty sealer stuff on it , so  off come the pipes they put them back on properly ,,  amazing they had charged me   2 hours , it just took him 15 minuites , start her up   still back firing , it needs a different tune ,  which tune i say  Tune  A  HE SAYS ,, oH YOU MEAN THE ONE I WAS CHARGED FOR YESTERDAY I SAY ,  eRR WE DOID'NT DO A TUNE YESTERDAY ONLY THE PIPES HE SAID . .

Does it make you wonder why people get  untrusting and pesamistic

Offline madmechanic

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: blackpool
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:07:09 pm »
Does anybody know job time for a 10,000 mile service , or jog times for changing air filter as this is what seems to be the thing that bumps the bill up as I believe it is quite an involved job. :084:
  Never asked the different dealers what there hourly rates are , you would think they are about the same surely :187:

Offline coneye

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »
 Never  assume , ,Only two weeks ago , I took my boat in for the wheel bearing , boat and trailer , 12 months old , probably towed it  at the most 1500 klm ,   it all came with a 3 YEAR WARRANTY . So when i rang i assumed it would be a warranty issue , and never asked   what it would cost .. When i went to pick it up , i was given a bill for $320   thats right $320 dollars to replace one bearing .

They never got it ,  i was told the bearing was  $30 and the rest was 2 hours labor , Basicly i refuse to pay it , they insinuated , the  boat would remain with them till i paid it .

I just said good , winters coming on   and i hope you store it undercover , i'll pick it up in summer after we have sorted it out through the relevent people , because i think it should be  warranty   issue , and even if its not , i'm not paying 2 hours at $145 p h for a 30 minuite job ,

End result , they agreed 2 hours was too much so  re issued the bill at  $200 , they still smacked my ass but it did'nt hurt has much . .

Personaly i'm sick to death  of    bad buisnesse who rip you or try to rip you off ,. ..

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »
I think based on the responses in the other thread https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,2448.7.html at that price it is way too much. After the warranty period is over I will do as much as I can myself, valves included.  Getting improved tunes seems to be something I have to keep in the good books with the dealer to do, but as I have to book more than 4 weeks in advance they might be happy not to have the extra work :)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:39:46 pm »
FWIW I am fairly sure that if warranty work needs doing it does not matter which dealer you go to- they get paid by Triumph

Therefore I would not go back to that dealer even for the warranty work- get a dealer you can trust and look after them.
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)