Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: SE Vs Basic Trophy  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Fisherman397

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2015
  • City / Town: Salisbury
SE Vs Basic Trophy
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:39 am »
Most of you will say why am I asking this question when the cost is only an extra £1400, but as I do 90% of my riding 2 up or 2 up & loaded, do I need electronic suspension? As for the radio, it's a none starter I don't think I would use it much, as I like music in my helmet with my inter comm. So once the suspension is set for  2 up thats set. no problem on my Sprint. But can anyone tell me if I am looking at this all wrong. which either I choose I will be adding Top box, bigger screen, comfort seats for me & her, alarm GPS mount, 12v scocket & pannier bags. So anther £1600, this take the SE to £16000 thats a whole lot of money, but the basic bike will end up at £14600. Please comment as I am getting close to putting my deposit down, her in doors is sold. :087:
Ride to live, live to ride

1979 Bonneville T140E
2015 Trophy

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: SE Vs Basic Trophy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:22:23 am »
Well firstly, can you still even get the basic? I thought they were only offering the SE now?

The electronic suspension is great to be able to flick between comfort and sport when the hooligan takes over. You also say that 90% of your riding is 2 up which means 10% is one up and being able to rapidly adjust the load without resorting to spanners will be much simpler for you.

As for the radio.... I don't use it much when riding either. Usually just when washing the bike or doing any work on it. What it gives you though is the integration of the GPS instructions from the Garmin 660 or similar which you can then output to you helmet setup.

Personally I find the stock seats comfortable enough... Did 8 hours one day through the Alps with no real complaints.

The alarm I wouldn't bother with... Waste of time on bikes in my opinion. They sap the battery and no one pays any attention anyway!

Importantly, the SE version allegedly has better residuals when you do come to trade/sell for your next Trophy as it is the bells and whistles that everyone wants.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:37:56 am by cropbiker »
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:35:27 am »
The non SE still has adjustable suspension, but it has to be done manually.

The front suspension has manually adjustable rebound damping 3mm more travel than the SE.
The rear suspension has manually adjustable hydraulic preload,
and manually adjustable rebound damping with the same travel as the SE.

The Trophy SE audio system is more than just a radio !

In addition to the radio, there is :
  • A dedicated 3.5mm jack plug for connecting the recommended Garmin Zumo 660 audio outplug socket,
  • USB socket inside the Glove box which will accept a Memory stick loaded with music, or compatible iPod,
  • Bluetooth for connection of two devices - for example a compatible Headset ( your helmet system )
    and a compatible Mobile Phone,

Before committing to the SE for it's audio system you should chack and research to make sure
that your intended GPS, Helmet Bluetooth system, USB stick, iPod ect are all compatible with the system,
as there have been some issues with some makes, models, and versions of peripheral equipment !

The Standard Trophy does not have the Tyre Pressure Monitoring system either.

On my SE Launch model there were with plenty of Power sockets - One in the Glove box,
one next to the riders left knee for Heated gear and connecting a Battery Tender / Optimate to,
one at the rear right panel for the pillion to connect Heated Gear,
and one in the Top box if your'e having the Triumph top box.
( Not sure of the non Launch model SE has the same number of sockets ).

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:44:18 am »
I had forgotten the TPMS! A great bit of kit..... Saved me from being stranded in the middle of Wales with a slow puncture.... Identified things early enough for me to divert somewhere to pull over and sort it out and get me home safely!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:53:43 am »
I have the standard model as I to listen to my music through an intercom and don't need the radio. Almost all my riding is with a pillion so I have set the suspension and have never changed it. One advantage is that you get a 5 litre storage bin under the seat where the radio would go. This is useful as the panniers are only 31 litres.
There were some very good deals available recently on the standard bike but I don't know if they are still available.

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:35:47 pm »
I wish Triumph offered me a standard model. There are some of us that use none of the electronic options. I think a lighter, technically simpler Trophy would be great. I'd trade.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:00:25 pm »
Non-launch SE has all those power sockets if you get the optional top box.

The audio stuff is something I don't really use at the moment, but it is there if I decide to change the setup. At the moment I use the Garmin 660 as the hub for GPS/phone/music if I feel like it, paired to a sena headset.

The electronic suspension adjustment is something I use a lot.  Most times it is set to solo comfort mode, even with a bit of luggage, as the roads around here can be rough, but if some decent road turns up it is into normal or sport mode for some fun.  Normal mode would be just too harsh compared to comfort for a lot of my riding, but I would not want to live with comfort mode in the twisty better surfaced roads.  And comfort mode is better on the bumpier backroads as the bike is not thrown off course as much, just rides the road and sticks to it better, as well as being really great on rutted gravel roads.

A standard version with just the electronic suspension standard might well do me.

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:18:22 pm »
When I bought my Trophy I thought on the same lines as you. Did I want a radio........No, Did I want adjustable suspension.......not really. I opted for the standard Trophy with taller screen, heated grips, extra 12v sockets and a GPS mount. No regrets and money saved!!

I think you still can get a standard Trophy, good luck with your quest.

tweedy-bunch