Gorgeous Day 5 ride through Florida by iowabikerider
[Today at 05:39:27 pm]

Very dirty final drive oil by Yaga1973
[Today at 04:14:39 pm]

New Member- rosierider by Yaga1973
[Today at 04:12:39 pm]

New member intro by 2slowTrophy
[Today at 02:24:42 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: BRAKES SYSTEM UPGRADES  (Read 8560 times)

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY 1200 2013
  • City / Town: napoli
BRAKES SYSTEM UPGRADES
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:22:36 am »
Iím thinking how to improve the front braking force. Actually power is not so bad, but my driving style, which has maybe still something coming from my past sport bikes, would like to have more power when braking. :153:

So Iím evaluating the following modifications:
-   Brake pads.
-   Install Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses (all bike).
-   Change front brake pump with a radial type.

In case I will process step by step, Iíll do in the same order as above.
Does anybody already did something, especially regarding the Steel Braided Hoses?
I would like to have an idea about the cost as I think no dedicated kit is available (in case yes, let me know)
ByeÖ.

Offline trackball

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Galicia
Re: BRAKES SYSTEM UPGRADES
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:18:24 pm »
I was thinking about this too and now after discovering the pads worn like mine even more than before.

Hoses are not plastic in Trophy isn't it?
This week I will install Brembo pads. SA in front wheel and SP in rear wheel. I hope they will bite and feel better. I will tell you.
Radial master cylinder were in my mind for brake and clutch but maybe you will feel better but there won't be more powerfull.

First step for me Brembo pads and Brembo DOT4 Sport EVO +500.

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »
No bike, except special and supersport have metal hoses.
Triumph too, has PVC (or something like that) ones, anyhow rubber-like material.
Where I feel I would like more braking power is when I retard the braking before a curve and this limits me to push little harder  :153:   (sorry for being too sporty  :431: )

For the pads, I always had good experience with Carbon Lorraine.  And I never felt too much difference by only changing the pads...you can stress them more than the OEM ones without loosing power, but  you are always subject to overheating the brake fluid and widen  the hoses.

On my previous bike GXSR 1000, I installed stainless hoses and you can feel the difference, as well as when using  DOT5.1 fluid. One time I went on track with DOT4 and I still remember when the bike braked with almost half power  :005:at the end of a straight, when just the lap before I had no problem.... Maybe DOT5.1 in this case is useless, and I will install only stainless hoses. The only problem is that for sure I need someone that will prepare me the kit with the correct length and config of the original system (consider also that rear brake i linked somehow with the front one, maybe hydraulically, so I dont know if I will keep this config)...

Offline trackball

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Galicia
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »
Speed Triple 2011 has metal hoses thats sure. All new european sport bike have it. Ducati, Triumph and BMW.

I will try Brembo pads and that DOT4. It is better than OEM liquid I can't explain it in english that why I'm not going to try it.

Be careful with DOT4 and DOT5. You will have problems with come bikes.

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:26 pm »
I'm not sure, but I remember Trophy has normal hoses...(I'm abroad so I'll take my bike again within  3/4 weeks).

But I think this is the first upgrade, in case. Then after I will change pads and finally the pump.

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:50:29 pm »
Are you guys sure you need to upgrade the front brakes?  :001:

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 tt se
  • City / Town: N.E florida
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:06:42 am »
i just traded my 13 tt se for a 14 tt se and it feels like it takes less effort to stop the bike[less pull]also the front rotors you can easily move by hand.i do not know if they made any changes maybe someone can tell if there is   

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 06:14:09 am »
*Originally Posted by triucati [+]
Are you guys sure you need to upgrade the front brakes?  :001:

I was able to do that only on my GSXR, but mainly at the end of the braking, with the bike approaching 0 speed.
I cant do it while moving.

BTW I suppose you can do that only by deactivating the ABS or not?
For example, to wheelie on TT you cant do it, when TC is on, as it cuts power when front wheel goes off the ground, or it is different for stoppie?

Any how GTR's front brakes were better, maybe because of the radial calipers...