Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: power shut down while riding?  (Read 15642 times)

Offline dano8855

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy se
  • City / Town: Southeastern Pa
power shut down while riding?
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:24:30 pm »
All,
I had a very interesting ride to work today. While riding, for a split second, I lost electrical power on the bike. The radio cut off, the speedometer and tach went to zero. As soon as the gauges hit zero, they went back to where they were(70 mph, etc) and radio came back on. It was so quick that I don't think the engine shut off. Weird?

I had the head and ECU replaced 3 or 4 months ago and I have never had this happen since the work nor prior to the replacement parts. I have read about others that have lost power while riding, but it seemed to me that it was more about the engine cutting off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: power shut down while riding?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:35:09 pm »
Hi Dan,

There is a separate thread where this issue was discussed here : Analog Speedometer needle
I don't know if anyone came up with a solution though  :084:

This issue, along with many others, is listed in the "HOW TO : Check the most common faults & Issues - Page 3" topic,
alphabetically listed under "SPEEDOMETER ( ANALOGUE ) - Speedo needle drops to Zero, then resumes."

Always worth a check in there if you have a problem  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »
I've had that happen 4 or 5 times in 18K miles.    Funny thing, my dealer's service guy no longer replies to my emails..    Wonder why??    :187:

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:44:08 pm »
A few weeks ago I thought I saw this happen on mine, I thought it was just my imagination so kind of ignored it, but now I see another thread on it so maybe not. I just caught a split second of my speedo needle returning to speed. Hmm. Now I think about it, I was in a fairly brisk rain shower at the time. I watch the tach more then the speedo, never seen it do a bounce though.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline dano8855

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy se
  • City / Town: Southeastern Pa
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »
Thanks Coconut. I check out the links.

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:14:56 pm »
also causes the cruise to suddenly turn off...  resumes ok though...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:23:29 am »
*Originally Posted by Briang1234 [+]
A few weeks ago I thought I saw this happen on mine, I thought it was just my imagination so kind of ignored it, but now I see another thread on it so maybe not. I just caught a split second of my speedo needle returning to speed. Hmm. Now I think about it, I was in a fairly brisk rain shower at the time. I watch the tach more then the speedo, never seen it do a bounce though.
I too saw it happen once, where the speedometer dropped to zero at 65 MPH, for just  few seconds at the most,  but since the engine ran fine, I thought nothing of it.

IMO, if they put a lot of computers in vehicles, we should expect the vehicle to sometimes act like a computer  and expect a few bugs that don't always make a whole lot of sense.

"It's normal for man to make a few mistakes. But if you really want to mess things up, it requires a computer."

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:04 am »
YES! mine did same thing, power shut off to everything for split second, then power back on.  Did it several times before I could get it to the dealer. Service tech quickly traced it to pin connector under glove box, they are tracing down exactly where and which wire is faulty as we speak, i get bike back tomorrow, Will report back with what service tech tells me corrected the problem tomorrow.....

tweedy-bunch