Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Switched live from rear brake switch?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Switched live from rear brake switch?
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:55:07 am »
Hi All,

I got my bike back this week after its factory recall. Before it went I had to remove virtually all my add-ons so that they did not "go missing" while it was away. Apparently the dealer also removed the R&G bars before they took it up to the factory and replaced them after they collected it just in case!

So, the situation is that I have my bike back to an almost "virgin" state and the opportunity to redo the electrical accessories "properly". Before, I powered them from the pillion powerlet socket, but this is only active when the engine is running.

I have a PDM60 power module:

http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules

which I intend to use to run the electrics (lights, horn, intercom, radio, camera...) but I need to wire it in.

It looks like the power module will fit nicely over the top of the alarm module under the right "thigh" panel, possible using some kind of custom bracket. It requires a switched live connection to trigger it and on past bikes I have tapped into the rear brake light live feed near the switch to trigger relays. My question is, has anybody done this on a TT? I understand that the rear brake is on the CANBus system but the PDM60 is stated to be CANBus compatible due to the extremely low current draw on its switched live line.

I have asked the dealer about installing a switched live feed as I know Triumph is paranoid about the CANBus system, but the dealer was talking about tapping into the rear brake light cluster which would be a lot further away from my proposed mounting point than the switch. Added to this would be the time and cost of the dealer doing the work.

Has anybody out there tapped into the electrics in this way WITHOUT having problems?

TIA

BP

"Let's be careful out there"

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: Switched live from rear brake switch?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »
I added a power block and picked up the live feed from the factory GPS wiring lead.   No issues.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:06:15 pm »
The GPS power connector is way over at the front of the bike. I intend to put the distribution module on the right side, miships, so the wiring run would be a pain. Also, my GPS power connector is in already being used- for my GPS!

Thanks anyway.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:56:17 pm »
*Originally Posted by BluePilot [+]
...my GPS power connector is in already being used- for my GPS!

BP

So is mine.  It's only a trigger.  I determined, for me, it was the easiest place to pick up power.  I just tapped off of it.   In the scheme of things, a few more inches of wire was not a deal breaker.

tweedy-bunch