Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Test drove a Tiger XC  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
Test drove a Tiger XC
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:42:09 am »
It's all downhill from here. You know how it is when you take the 'Test ride'
Funny thing. On the Tiger forum the most posts are in topics like 'Dead Battery', 'Wiring the Garmin 660', 'Bike won't start'....Deja Vu man!
It was a mighty fun ride though. That 800 triple really screams. I haven't been on a bike that light in a couple years, felt like I was on a bicycle after riding the Trophy for 6 months.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Test drove a Tiger XC
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:29 am »
*Originally Posted by Briang1234 [+]
It's all downhill from here. You know how it is when you take the 'Test ride Funny thing. On the Tiger forum the most posts are in topics like 'Dead Battery', 'Wiring the Garmin 660', 'Bike won't start'....Deja Vu man!
It was a mighty fun ride though. That 800 triple really screams. I haven't been on a bike that light in a couple years, felt like I was on a bicycle after riding the Trophy for 6 months.
I know a guy who has a Tiger here in Reno. Looks like a bike I would enjoy for a middleweight.

But if you really want to try a light fun bike, the Suzuki DR200SE. But not a good freeway bike. These little cycles are the most fun per dollar.

BTW, If anybody knows any motorcycle forum for any make or model  where there are not constant problems mentioned of some type, please let me know.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:50 pm »
I traded a Tiger 800XC for the Trophy SE.  I put 20000 miles on the XC and it was a great bike.  A little too light for highway rides, but fun everywhere else. 

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:44:20 pm »
I just bought a Tiger 800 XC because about half the roads in Texas are unpaved.  It's a great middle weight, but the whole package is weird for an off road bike. 

Ergonomically, the seat to pegs relationship is okay as is the seat to handlebars distance.  Put them together and it feels awkward though.  Sitting down you are sort of hunched over, and your feet are too far forward.  Stand up and your feet are in the right position, but the bars are too low and forward.  It must be some sort of compromise between sitting and standing on the pegs. 

The engine tuning is also strange--not much bottom end. You really have to rev it and slip the clutch to get it moving, especially on rough ground.  It runs out of breath over 8K, might as well not go there at all which wastes 2K of the RPM band.  Its like the bike is tuned for 3-8K, but it's not really in its element in slow and technical or winding it out on the street.  Cruising down a dirt road feels just right.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:11:32 pm »
The lighter bike have a whole different feel.  I was out on my Bonneville yesterday and its a very flickable bike, but not as great for long trips and the freeway.  Great around town, tho.

I think the only solution is to have two or more bikes  :152:

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »
I think the only solution is to have two or more bikes  :152:

I'll put that thought to the missus tonight........

Wish me luck!!

Dave
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 03:57:42 pm »
*Originally Posted by davybull [+]
I'll put that thought to the missus tonight........

Wish me luck!!

Dave

Do what I do, get the bike and take Neurofen in advance of a serious  :192: and  :233: earache, time passes, you heal and the bikes are still in the garage  :038:

2 x Tiger 900's
Thruxton
Tiger 800 XC
Trophy SE sitting in the dealers waiting collection.