Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bonnie Scotland  (Read 4210 times)

Offline welshanproud

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wrexham
Bonnie Scotland
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:08:23 am »
 Just arrived home after eight days in Scotland. What cam I say? This was the second time we've had a bit of a tootle up here, but the first on the Trophy. Day1 Wrexham North Wales to Gretna Scotland Via Settle,Kendal, Up the old A6 to penrith, Carlisle, Gretna. Day2 270mile slog fro gretna to Oban via Largs to catch up with old friends and catch the ferry from Mcinroy's point to Dunoon then on to Inverary and Oban. Two nights here because my wife hert her back and the girls said so! :001:. Oban is such a magical place that we didn't argue. Great food cold beer and brilliant views. My advise is to use Oban as a base to travel from but expect long days(this is a big country).
 After a good break, Day4 Oban to Ullapool via Applecross and Gairloch 278miles (mainly single track) and ten hours later we arrived at our destination. Shattered, we managed to book an extra night at our b&b  thankfully.
 Day5 Ullapool to Durness ( just about the highest point in the UK without getting the bike wet). A very cold bleak place but one to do because you can if you know what I mean.
Day6. Another long day. Ullapool to Glen Eagles golf club via Inverness, Loch Ness, Fort William, Glen coe. What a ride! Big views and big roads.
 Day7. Another day off the bike to go to the Blackford Highland games. A really interesting day out and a nice break before our 300 mile drudge home.

A fantastic week with great weather and great company. Thanks to Jules who never complained even though her back was a real problem for her and Derek on his wing, and Karon his wife. The trophy ran perfectly and managed single lane tracks and motorway equally. Awesome bike! :001:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:02:37 pm by welshanproud »
Your always in the .... it's just the depth that varies

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
Re: Bonnie Scotland
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:51:25 am »
sounds like a great trip with some serious time on the bike. just back myself from a little jaunt up to Inverary. The ferry from greenock to dunoon is such great way into scotland avoiding glasgow and the M74.
Fully agree with your comments about the bike. I am so impressed with it's versatility. No other bike I have owned or tested is so accomplished at all of slow riding, bimbling through towns or along unclassifieds, B road twisties,  A road sweepers or motorway dullness(radio on  :018:)
Roll on next visit to Scotland  - truly a bikers paradise on our doorstep :169: 

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:27:10 am »
Welshmanproud

Brilliant write up. Makes me wish time goes quicker. :008: On my next leave in July is when I have my run up from Wetherby. Presently looking at meeting a mate from Aberdeen so briefly looking at Wetherby to Perth. (Overnight) then perth via Creiff, Fort William to Lochcarron over the Pass of the cattle to Applecross. Managed to get 2 nights booked in the Applecross inn. After that just make our way probably via Inverness back towards Aberdeen. (Overnight somewhere) then my slog back to Wetherby.

How was the trip over from Lochcarron to Applecross or did you do the coast road.  After practicing on Wrynoss and Hardknott pass hoping it isn't as bad. But on Google earth it looks OK

Good to hear no problems with the bike. But I don't expect any. Brilliant machine. I agree fully with your comment on Oban absolutely fantastic place. Used to Scallop dive out of there for a while. We stayed in a caravan :745: or on the boat at Ardmuchish bay.  You just throw your watch away cos time doesn't matter when you are up there. :046: :062:

seadog :821: :821:

seadog

Offline welshanproud

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:59:53 pm »
 Hi sea Dog thanks for the positive feed back  :002: just wish I could type! Applecross has two very tricky hair pins and that's about it. Lookout for loose stone on the inside/outside of these. Also some car drivers don't appreciate the size of our bikes, two thought we could reverse up hill!!! The coastal route is very good (still single track but good surface). Some very fast roads upto Gairloch too. Hope you have as much luck with the weather as we did because it's so beautiful. Enjoy my friend :018:

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:23:55 pm »
Welshmanproud

Thanks for the tips. I have been made aware of cars not giving way. I have followed the route on Google Map street view all the way from the 1st tight bend coming from Lochcarron up to the viewing point then down to the cattle grid coming into Applecross.

Life at sea does that to you. Nothing better to do :745:  Looking forward to it very much tho.  Even on Hardknott pass in the lakes a mini bus coming down didn't give way and we had to reverse down a bit. :157:  Bit hairy on the trophy as you are limited with foot clearance and a heavy bike to bring down as mentioned in some other posts.  But wont be fazed by cagers. :745:

Home next week so more longer rides in sight plus the Vulcan Bomber meet with Cropbiker.

seadog :158:

seadog

Offline welshanproud

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:13 pm »
 Just a thought. If you get caught like that again set the suspension so comfort/single rider and the back end will drop. Makes life so much easier. :017:

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:40:24 pm »
Thanks. Good tip :152:

seadog
seadog

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 11:07:41 pm »
I've lived and worked in Scotland at two different times over the last 35 years. I've also made a number of trips to golf and visit distilleries! I consider Scotland my second home. If it were just a little warmer in the summer I think I could convince my wife that we should live in Dornoch.
My dream retirement job is to caddie on the Old Course.
Perhaps the next trip will involve the hire of a motorcycle, perhaps a Trophy SE!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.