Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Speedometer needle/ABS/TC  (Read 1783 times)

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Speedometer needle/ABS/TC
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:19 am »
Hi All,

Not sure if this topic should be in the mechanical or electrical forums as most mechanical bits are connected to electrical bits on the Trophy! Anyway, here goes.

Ever since I got my bike back from its factory recall last week I have been experiencing frequent problems with the "analogue" speedometer dropping to zero for a short time (less than a second). This also causes the ABS and Traction Control warning lights to come on together with the engine warning light and a message that the ABS is off and to check the manual on the LCD screen.

I see that there are a couple of references to the speedo needle in Coconut's "common faults & issues" FAQ and also an old thread on the topic. These threads mention the cruise control being disengaged (I never use it- I rarely sit at constant speed!) but not the ABS/TC system. For this reason I suspect a dodgy wheel speed sensor or connection rather than an electronic issue.

I have phoned the dealer and will be taking the bike up to get looked at this afternoon. I will post an update after that.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Speedometer needle/ABS/TC
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:29:08 pm »
I experienced a bent ABS rotor on the front wheel.  the material is very soft and this caused the ABS warning.  the tech at the shop bent it back true by eye and all was fine but they replaced it just to be safe... no idea how it got bent, but guessing a rock hit it...    worth a look....

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Re: Speedometer needle/ABS/TC
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »
My dealer took it into the workshop and did some diagnostics. They cleaned the sensor and the connectors before taking it for a test ride which had no faults.

I took a longer route home than usual just to give it a good run and it seems the fault has gone- for the moment at least!

:046:

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

tweedy-bunch