Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: GPS connector kit  (Read 4570 times)

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Whitby, ON
GPS connector kit
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:08:01 am »
Hey guys.....new owner here(2014 Silver)...

I purchased the gps connector kit, and wondering if removing the entire fairing is the only way to get at the main harness connection. I woudn't even know where to start to remove that fairing :-)

Thanks !
Rob

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: GPS connector kit
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:43:35 am »
*Originally Posted by RPDATA [+]
Hey guys.....new owner here(2014 Silver)...

I purchased the gps connector kit, and wondering if removing the entire fairing is the only way to get at the main harness connection. I woudn't even know where to start to remove that fairing :-)

Thanks !
Rob
You start here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 04:22:44 am »
I better dedicate a day to that....looks like it could take some time and patience ! Thanks so much for the write up.

But really you would think Triumph could make the GPS connector kit just a bit more plug and play ?

Rob

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 07:25:05 am »
I better dedicate a day to that....looks like it could take some time and patience ! Thanks so much for the write up.
Thank Coconut for the writeup. I used it too, to wire in my RG bars, GPS and dual horn. Yes, it will take some time, but it helps you get familiar with the bike. Kinda tough to think about doing such to a nice shinny new bike, isn't it?
But really you would think Triumph could make the GPS connector kit just a bit more plug and play ?
Yeah, I said the same thing here. But if you are thinking about doing other work to the bike, such as crash bars or horns, do it all while you have the fairing off.  I've heard of others wiring in the GPS  without removing the entire  fairing, but you will have to ask them what they did. I think they get to the audio and power cable somehow below the left console and also work behind the left mirror.

Oh, and I forgot to say:

:400:

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:19:59 pm »
If you are just looking for the wiring harness, you can access the wiring by just removing the left side turn signal housing.  A little tight but you can do it.  If you are installing the optional factory GPS bracket you need to remove the dash pod, which I felt was more tedious than the faring removal. 

Offline nakerr

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE - RIP
  • City / Town: Ft. Saskatchewan, AB
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »
*Originally Posted by BigD [+]
If you are just looking for the wiring harness, you can access the wiring by just removing the left side turn signal housing.  A little tight but you can do it.  If you are installing the optional factory GPS bracket you need to remove the dash pod, which I felt was more tedious than the faring removal. 

Agreed. Taking off the left side mirror and pulling the storage compartment gave me enough room to get to the connectors and run the GPS wiring up to my handlebar where I installed my GPS.

As well as Coconut's great instructions the service manual gives clear descriptions on how to open stuff up.
Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

Past owner of 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (Pacific Blue) - RIP; - next bike ???

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »
Awesome - thanks guys. I only need the wiring harness so will try the short gut

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 02:07:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by BigD [+]

Agreed.  My dealer installed the bracket, but didn't connect the audio out wire so I removed the dash and made the connection without removing the faring.  Removing the dash is not very difficult, but a bit tedious...