Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hi from downunder -it's bloody hot here right now  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Hi from downunder -it's bloody hot here right now
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Hi All
 After much teeth gnashing, have signed up for a Trophy SE with all the trimmings. Hopefully to be delivered on the 27th March.
Hard decision, as the bike I have, a 2003, ST1300 ABS, has been stellar - No problems, no drops, great comfort & performance, excellent two up, good economy and cheap to run, as I do all the maintenance. it's cost me filters, oils, fluids, tyres and one battery.

Below is the comment I made for an Aussie test of the Trophy.
It's at       http://www.bikepoint.com.au/reviews/road/bmw/r-1200-rt/trophy-se-versus-r-1200-rt-35066

"I have a 2003 St1300A and am ready to trade in.
Have road tested
Honda VFR1200 F -  not a tourer (18.5 litre tank & thirsty, poor power at less than 4000 revs) and not a sports bike (too heavy). Honda has got this wrong. Also the Crossover 1200( it ain't an offroader)
Kawasaki GTR1400  - Great dash and motor. Horrible seating position for rider (I'm 194 cms. tall & couldn't fit into tank cutouts) and pillion. (She hated it)
Gold Wing - Felt very uneasy at slow speeds and u turns - rather slow in comparison to the other tourers - has too many buttons and oldish technology - a non adjustable windscreen (??????) - a too low seat for tall riders
BMW GT1600 - Great motor - clunky gearbox and driveline - gyro light does not work as well as advertised and set far to low  - excellent adjustment of all functions by the right grip "wheel"- Suspension OK but feel all small road imperfections - feels awkward at slow speeds, U turns etc.- good finish and quality fittings -  radio speakers poor above 80 kms. - Premium price $10,000 more for a GTL, than a Trophy SE.
Triumph Trophy - Nicely balanced and light steering - great pillion seat and footpeg position - Rider's seat a little firm and not so comfortable after 20 mins - good handlebar and grip position - OK dash, Speedo & Tacho could be larger & clearer - Fiddly to adjust settings, but can be done with practise - radio speakers poor above 80 kms.
Motor very uniform in power - as revs rise, there are no surprises, just a steady increase of thrust - not as torque endowed as the ST1300 - I kept hitting my left foot on the fairing when changing gears (my big feet, but I managed to avoid this problem by moving my foot back to change gears with the tip of my boot)  - Suspension on the first ride was not setup for two and was terrible, as all the spring travel was used up. On a second try it was much improved and reasonably controlled, but, I think it still a little short on travel.
 In truth, I would buy a new ST1300 if there was a 2012 model available, but they are selling 2010 models and Honda weren't interested when I inquired as to when a 2013 model was to become avaiable.
That leaves the Triumph Trophy as the best in value and performance. Honda has lost me."

I rode the Trophy solo after those comments and was swayed. That's where it has the wood on the ST1300 - it handles more like a sportbike.
Anyway, I have read comments on this website and devoured all the info, which helped me make the decision.
Will enjoy reading more.  :001:
Rob

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Hi from downunder -it's bloody hot here right now
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 05:27:53 AM »
Welcome Rob and congrats on your very wise decision to purchase a Trophy.  It certainly has been a long hot summer in Adelaide and also here in Melbourne.  in April this year keep your eyes peeled for a Silver Trophy with VIC plates swanning around Adelaide because I am already planning a trip from Melbourne to SA to visit family and friends.  Actually I don't really care about the family and friends I just want another excuse to ride the Trophy.

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:53:50 AM »
Hi Glenk69
 I'm intending to visit Victoria (my daughter lives at Hopper's Crossing) via Mount Gambier & Port Fairy.
That's if the bike is delivered on time, I can run it in and get it serviced.
 I intend to leave about the middle of April.
If you need a place to stay over here, or just a friendly visi tto swap bulls..., we can swap email addresses. Not sure how to on this website though.
Cheers
Rob
ps Love you profile picture  -watch the show and the older I get, the funnier it is.

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
Hi Rob and welcome.

I also had a STX1300A which I got rid of after a year. Yes, mechanically perfect and it looked great especially in wineberry which mine was. But I had 4 major issues which made it impossible to live with for me. The first was the weather protection. Constant buffeting no matter what position the screen was in. I ended up with it fully down for long runs to minimise the problem. Trophy is way superior and even better than the K1200LT that I came from. (I went for the high touring screen). Clutch was way too heavy and generated a severe pain after constant use. Seat was like sitting on a plank. Yes the Trophy is firm but is comfortable for extended rides. Riding position had me with too much weight on my wrists. I think when you get used to it you'll find the Trophy is better in most, if not all, regards and I hope you'll have a ball. Some things straight off - I think the view in the mirrors is better, there's more seat length for rider and passenger so less helmet banging, its more economical, and other stuff I think you'll appreciate.
Caoimhín

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »
Hi Caoimhim
After owning an ST also, you know how hard it was to change.
I'm tall but had no problems with the buffeting you refer to on the ST.
I noticed that the Trophy fuel consumption was slightly better. Although, on the ST, I have gone 546 kms. with approx. 3 litres left in the tank. Also had a best of 23.4 k/l out of a tank. Range therefore should be about the same - plenty anyway. These were touring speeds. The average was about 17 - 18 k/l. Flogging it,15k/l
I rode the Trophy in the rain and the screen height is one of my concerns, as, at it's highest setting, the rain ran up the screen and directly onto my visor. I have also opted for the higher screen, but don't know how effective that will be, as it's only 1" higher.
The other slight problem is the firm seat, so I will accept that it doesn't get worse, the longer you sit.
I noticed a mild vibe at touring speeds 100 to 125k/h from the grips & right footpeg. It wasn't a problem, just me being ultra picky. It was hard to find fault. The ST was smooth at all speeds, although I played around with both balancer settings to achieve this.

Having read of a few problems with the Trophy, I am a little concerned, but the dealer I purchased from has, so far, been excellent, so I trust them to resolve any problems that may occur. That was Peter Stevens in Adelaide.
I visited 6 dealers in Adelaide, for various bikes and only one other was worth the visit. The rest really need to get a customer service system organised.
One even told me to test ride a bike at another dealers and then to come back for a quote.!!!!!!
At Peter Stevens, I had three rides, a good trade/in and deal on the bike, a discount on the bike accessories and apparel (2 helmets 2 Bluetooth, 2 gloves, 2 draggin jeans, boots, 2 jackets, etc. for my wife and I).
I have had phone calls advising of delivery date, arrival of the Bike accessories. a pick up time and no pressure at all, to purchase, during negotiations.
I also pestered for service costs etc. and was told everything I requested. All staff were very helpful including the accessories salesperson , who volunteered to fit the Bluetooth to the helmets (Shark Evoline 3, which are excellent).
All I have to do now is be able to wait ( impatiently) for the bike to arrive.
Cheers Rob

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
So what is the temp down under? Its peeing it down here!!!!
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robmcg [+]
Hi Caoimhim
I rode the Trophy in the rain and the screen height is one of my concerns, as, at it's highest setting, the rain ran up the screen and directly onto my visor. I have also opted for the higher screen, but don't know how effective that will be, as it's only 1" higher.
The other slight problem is the firm seat, so I will accept that it doesn't get worse, the longer you sit.
I noticed a mild vibe at touring speeds 100 to 125k/h from the grips & right footpeg. It wasn't a problem, just me being ultra picky. It was hard to find fault. The ST was smooth at all speeds, although I played around with both balancer settings to achieve this.

Having read of a few problems with the Trophy, I am a little concerned.......
Cheers Rob

Rob, I've been out in rain and had no problem (apart from all the grime thrown up all over the back). The tall screen seems to work. Absolutely calm at 100kph. Some wind at higher speeds but overall quieter than my LT was with high screen and Laminer Lip fitted.

There is a slight vibration at certain speeds. It's not as smooth as the STX1300 or K1600 for sure, but then again it hasn't got the annoying whine of those bikes. I'd put it not far off the K1200 engine in terms of smoothness, and way ahead of the R1200 which sounds and feels like a machine gun and will have your hands tingling for 10 minutes after a run. The Triumph engine has a really nice sound and character to it.

I'm half way through the running in not and beginning to open it up a bit. Zero problems.
Caoimhín

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 01:23:22 AM »
Temperature wise, it's mild today 25 C, but we just went through a record dozen days over 30, most high 30's and into the  40's - 44 being the hottest.(111+ F)

Caoimhín, I agree with you re the whine in the ST1300 and GT1600.
At 194cms., the wind spill hit my chest at the low position(ST1300) and raised, just the tip of my helmet, but smooth air and no buffeting.

Dirty spray over the back of the bike doesn't sound good re the Pillion. I'll have a moaning noise also, if this is the case.
All little quirks that can be sorted out.
Cheers Rob

tweedy-bunch