Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: All is good  (Read 2235 times)

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
All is good
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »
I've put 700 miles on the bike since the head and ECU swap and so far so good.  While the bike was in, the dealer got the heated grip display to work (the grips worked, just not the display).  Triumph also replace the rotors under warranty and no more shake when stopping. I did have a dead battery one morning, but that only happened once right after the bike came back and hasn't happened since.  Perhaps the battery was low from being at the dealers all winter, but it hasn't happened in 700 miles and the battery is not on a tender.   Anyway, the bike is running great with zero issues (knock on wood).

Coming home from the weekly RAT Pack ride last night was perfect.  70 degrees, set the cruise at 84 (which is 80 mph according to my Garmin).  Screen half way up and it was perfectly calm behind the screen.   :152:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:49:32 pm by enGage »

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Re: All is good
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:19:09 pm »
Well, maybe not as good as I thought.  Battery was dead yesterday when I went to start the bike.  It had been good and reading over 13 volts for several months now. 

I usually keep the key in the ignition, so I will remove it from now on just in case its me not switching it off completely.

So I go to the local dealer to get a battery tender connection (pigtail). I attach it to the battery and am deciding where to route it.  I pick a location and guess what - there's already one there.  :156:  I know my dealer generally installs one, but this looks like it came from the factory given it has a custom fuse mount that mounts to the battery bracket. 

I suspect most of you already know this, but if not, check for a battery pigtail connection.  It will stick out towards the back of the battery cover.

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by enGage [+]
Well, maybe not as good as I thought.  Battery was dead yesterday when I went to start the bike.  It had been good and reading over 13 volts for several months now. 

I usually keep the key in the ignition, so I will remove it from now on just in case its me not switching it off completely.
Watch out for this. You can pull the key out when the parking light position is in play and still drain the battery. (Ask me how I know!) Just giving the friendly warning. :)
*Originally Posted by enGage [+]
So I go to the local dealer to get a battery tender connection (pigtail). I attach it to the battery and am deciding where to route it.  I pick a location and guess what - there's already one there.  :156:  I know my dealer generally installs one, but this looks like it came from the factory given it has a custom fuse mount that mounts to the battery bracket. 

I suspect most of you already know this, but if not, check for a battery pigtail connection.  It will stick out towards the back of the battery cover.
Yep. My dealer had also installed one on my bike. It was very obvious, however, and actually a bit too obvious, such that I had to figure out a way to tuck it under and out of the way! I never actually use a battery tender, preferring instead to simply use the bike(s) often enough that they don't ever need to be charged externally.  :)
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »
*Originally Posted by Wells [+]
Watch out for this. You can pull the key out when the parking light position is in play and still drain the battery. (Ask me how I know!) Just giving the friendly warning. :)

I'll double check - thanks.

*Originally Posted by Wells [+]
I never actually use a battery tender, preferring instead to simply use the bike(s) often enough that they don't ever need to be charged externally.  :)

I don't either, but when the battery is dead, it has to be charged and I have the larger Battery Tender that will charge and maintain the battery, so the pigtail connector saves me the trouble of removing the battery cover.

BTW - I had used the bike two days before I found the battery dead.  I'm still not totally convinced it isn't me forgetting to turn the bike off, so I'll be more vigilant for awhile and if it happens again, I'll give Triumph a call and see what they say.