Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Adding LED Tail and brake light to Top Box  (Read 7211 times)

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Adding LED Tail and brake light to Top Box
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:51:39 pm »
Heres one for all the Electrical technicians out there. When riding it has been pointed out that it is sometimes difficult to see my brake light under the Top Box.

I am not too into Auto electrics and don't want to mess with it especially on the Trophy SE

But I have wondered would it be possible to fit either one or a pair of Slim LED Tail and Brake lights on to the Top Box (I know you would have to drill into the top box) but could easily make the attachment water proof.

Could these be then powered thru the Top Box hot shoe. Then when you take off the top box it just disconnects automatically.

Any comments, how to's appreciated

I have seen some slim lights on Bikemart  about £25 each that would look pretty smart. I was thinking on the Black plastic portion of the Top box.

seadog

seadog

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: Adding LED Tail and brake light to Top Box
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:25:19 pm »
You could in theory get power to power lights but it would be constant on.  If you wanted brake lights and or turn signals you will have a challenge.  The top box connector as is does not have provisions for brake lights or turn signals.  It is just constant on power. One could probably accomplish this by using a trailer connection harness, thus getting power to brake and indicator lights. It would need to be connected and disconnected independent of the top box.

The next challenge would be to separate the inner and outer shells of the lower box to access the wiring.  I tried for a different project I had in mind.  Even with all fasteners removed I could not get the two pieces to separate.

One possible solution could be adding a license plate frame with LED lights.  Access to the wiring would be much simpler.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:39:01 pm by BigD »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:42:52 pm »
Thanks Big D

Just a thought at the moment. Forgot the twin skin on the box. Good point. :028:

It would have been a good improvement for Triumph to consider tho. 

seadog
seadog

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »
I remember seeing an LED device to mount on the back of your helmet (on batteries) that had an RF interface unit that linked to the bike brakes and indicators.

Something like that might be adapted. Can't find the thing again, it was a bored early hours of the morning web trawl  :033:

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:41:37 pm »
Sin Tiger

I have seen that, I have also looked today at the LED Strip lighting. That has a possible potential if I put it round the number plate. After reading some old posts I tend to agree I only need an extra Brake light and am not bothered for extra Tail lights of indicators.

I will keep looking as it is not urgent but if there is something out there that is suitable I would be interested.

I was trying to get something higher off the ground and the Top Box seemed ideal.

Thanks
seadog
seadog

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:56:32 pm »
*Originally Posted by seadog [+]

I have seen that, I have also looked today at the LED Strip lighting. That has a possible potential if I put it round the number plate.

You might look into something like this..

http://www.bikerhiway.com/radiantz-real-flex-3-plate-frame-p-1991.html

Offline Mac166

• Trophy Junior
  • Never Ride Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy - Blue
  • City / Town: Sandhurst
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 03:52:29 pm »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 04:35:33 pm »
Mac 166

Thanks for the site for the lights. Yes that could be a solution.

Cheers

seadog :152: :821:
seadog