Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Occasional Judder when setting off  (Read 3612 times)

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
Occasional Judder when setting off
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:10 pm »
have noticed this on a few occasions.bike has 800 miles from new. With light throttle and smart set off am getting an occasional judder, reasonably severe,  which smooths out as soon as the bike has got going. It could be any of fuelling, clutch, transmission, running in , rider input, normal behaviour for this bike set up( they all do that sir). My bike has got the revised ecu and I remember reading that others have occasionally stalled when setting off with the revised set up. Not a huge problem but it doesn't seem to be quite as simple as a few more revs and more clutch slip.Certainly only happens once in say  20 set offs.  anyone out there experienced this or got any thoughts ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:28:12 pm by davidcumbria »

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Occasional Judder when setting off
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:34:07 am »
I have not experienced anything like that...

Dare I say it that is it anything to do just with getting used to the the clutch and throttle interaction of a new bike?? You say a light throttle and a smart set off.... would suggest you perhaps just need a few more rpm
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:46:03 am »
I can't recall anything like that when new, the bike has 19,000kms on it now. The ECU change did not adversely affect this, if anything the throttle response it better, so hint of stalling, but then I have a staintune slipon that is now working as it should have.

Feels like the ST1100 when taking of as virtually no change of stalling. I have accidentally taken off in 2 and 3rd, it does complain a bit bit still gets going.

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:49:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. Don't think it's just hamfistedness - I have ridden 6 different bikes this week so I am quite used to finding new biting  points and throttle coordination. Last of them was a GSXR 750 yoshi at a Suzuki test riding event today - fairly epic. Any way the good news is that it hasn,t happened in over 200 miles this weekend so I am going to put it down to running in and nothing to worry about.

I do  wonder if the tickover fuelling is a little lean. with bike in neutral i can get mine to stall by blipping and fast releasing ( letting go) the throttle. The revs usually drop down to just below idle and recover but sometimes it stalls. Never a problem on the road where I would be slightly controlling the reclosure of the throttles with wrist pressure.
Again low mileage engine tightness might be a factor here.

I hope I am not coming over as a moaner/ mechanical hypochondriac. this bike is definitely up there among best I have ever ridden and I am boring my mates to death with how good it is !
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:51:10 pm by davidcumbria »

Offline flyingz06

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Indiana
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:56 am »
are you running 87 fuel?  I was having hesitation when taking off when running 91+  All gone with 87

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:21:56 am »
I have some vague memory that the idle acted like that when it was new. The bike just gets better and better with use.  I was just thinking yesterday that it seems to be quieter than ever engine wise (19,000kms)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 02:40:23 am »
No offense intended but the only time I've had any problem like that is when I've absentmindedly started off in the wrong gear. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:56:32 am »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]
are you running 87 fuel?  I was having hesitation when taking off when running 91+  All gone with 87

Thanks flying z06 - I think you may be onto something here. This was happening when I had put some 98 high octane fuel in it thinking it would help during running in. Currently running 95 standard uk non leaded and not having the problem. I wouldn't have made this connection myself. Makes more sense than a reasonably noticeable problem suddenly clearing itself altogether after a few miles and although it would seem the obvious reason I am really not a biking clutz when it comes to setting off.... I recently did the slow riding test course with my local advanced riders group 2 up and managed to avoid dropping it  much to the 'disappointment' of my mates.
Another issue resolved by this forum I think, cheersflyingz06  :046:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:59:11 am by davidcumbria »

tweedy-bunch