Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Wanted: back rest for driver for 2013 triumph  (Read 1949 times)

Offline luckywilber

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FZ1
  • City / Town: Simi Valley CA
Wanted: back rest for driver for 2013 triumph
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:17:17 pm »
 :157:   My Great Gal wants a backrest for me so feels wedged in when she rides. Any suggestions??? :157:
Thanks, Steve W
Steve (Lucky) Wilber

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Wanted: back rest for driver for 2013 triumph
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:40:23 pm »
No idea about back rests although somewhere on this site I have seen pictures of one.  But for a safe feeling for the pillion I use 'love handles'.  No Not the ones built in  :084: but ones you wear like a belt and have a grip either side for the pillion to hold onto if needed.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:08:28 pm »
Have you researched a company named UTOPIA. I have had their backrests on two of my bikes and they worked great. They are big in the Goldwing community, but they do other models including Triumph as well.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:28:58 pm »
Utopia's website does not list anything for the Trophy.  I have a  Backup off of my K1600, and when I can finally get around to it I will try to fabricate a template for them so they can make one for the Trophy.  I think a lot of backrest mfr's aren't willing to do all the R&D work for some bikes considering there are so many new models all the time that use different seats/mounting and there may be  a lack of enough sales to cover the cost.  Unlike some of us, not everyone needs or even wants a backrest.  My question is why don't the various motorcycle companies that make touring/sport touring bikes have any interest in doing this, since ANY, Victory, Indian, or Harley of late has a factory backrest and different seating available at their dealers.
Here's hoping for something soon,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline grayjo72

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophey SE
  • City / Town: Richmond Nsw
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:03 am »
I can vaguely remember seeing a picture in a post of a corbin brand seat that had a back rest for the rider.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:54 pm »
That is correct about the Corbin with the backrest, even front and rear if it follows the Corbin standard for backrests on their seats.  The only issue is that for a Corbin with a backrest you will spend around $800 US, and it will be leather which is comfortable but requires a little maintenance.  It will also fit the recesses in the plastic over the tank better than the stock seat.  Having had a Corbin I waited 7 weeks to get and seeing how heavy it was over a stock R1200RT seat I probably wouldn't buy another one.  Some have had quality/delivery issues with Corbin from time to time, but mine was OK with the exception of the backrest not being perfectly square with the seat (off by a very small amount - but still...), and it was firmer and more comfortable than the factory low seat for longer rides (more that a couple hundred miles).  Others may have different opinions, experiences than mine.  I know there is at least one Trophy out there with a Corbin as pictures have been posted on here in another thread.
Ride safe,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies