Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cold weather hand protection  (Read 4078 times)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Cold weather hand protection
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »
I know its warm n sunny at the moment, but I would like to how the TT is for cold weather hand protection from the wind.  I have had heated grips in the past, but with poor wind protection on my Sprint GT the hands were still frozen.  Not picked up my new TT yet but interested how good the protection is for the hands

thanks

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Cold weather hand protection
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »
You couldn't ask for better... I ride in perforated summer gloves all year round now.... Even one day at - 5deg C...I did have the heated grips on setting 2 that day!

The positioning of the mirrors provides great protection from windblast. If you haven't got them fitted, order the heated grips an you will never ride with cold hands again.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:21:38 am »
Simply the best  :152:
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:51:33 am »
My third day with the trophy started in 29 degree (F) weather and light gloves.  The heated grips kept me warm and the mirrors kept wind off the hands.  The wind protection is excellent on this bike.
I'm concerned about hot weather days.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:54:33 am »
I prefer to have some protection from a hot wind blast, as I find I am more comfortable long term with reduced dehydration. Mind, I don't do slower riding in town at all.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:00:02 am »
The Trophy is the first bike I've owned that has heated grips.  I picked the bike up in Upstate New York in April when temperatures were around 28-32 F (-3 to 0 C).  I found that between the heated grips and the fairing protection I was more than warm enough.  In fact the weather protection was so good that many times I found myself using the heated grips only from curiosity
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:13:32 am »
*Originally Posted by neojynx [+]
I know its warm n sunny at the moment, but I would like to how the TT is for cold weather hand protection from the wind.  I have had heated grips in the past, but with poor wind protection on my Sprint GT the hands were still frozen.  Not picked up my new TT yet but interested how good the protection is for the hands
Garry
I deliberately purchased my TTSE in November so I would have it for the cold winter here. I often rode my TTSE when the temp was around 20F (-7C) and I was impressed. On the high setting, it didn't take long for my hands to get too hot and would have to go to the lower setting (the high setting is just for warm up). That, along with the warm seat, I never had a complaint about the temp. That, along with the traction control and ABS makes it a great cold weather bike. I have been on some icy roads and all, with no problems. Still a bit scary, but without the traction control and ABS it would even be more scary.

I also find it a great hot weather bike, just keep the windshield all the way down.

I doubt if there is a better two wheeled vehicle than the TTSE for cold weather.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59:46 pm »
The only other bike I have ridden that has just as good wind protection for your hands was the Victory Vision and it was basically set up the same with the fairing and the mirrors blocking off all the wind. It also had heated grips and I seldom used them on the highest setting.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

tweedy-bunch